Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

On-demand Refresh runs continuously (one after another)

I realised this morning that for some of my workbooks connected to PBI service and put on scheduled refresh On-Demand runs continuously one after another and the cycle does not break. It there any problem with the service? Is this possible to check what causes it? Can I stop it without removing and re-adding the workbook?

PBI.png

Thanks,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as the solution to close the case please. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't seem like this was answered. I am experiencing the same thing. I go to the workspace, datasets, and I click the fresh button once. It then proceeds to do 3 refreshes in a row with 10-20 second gap. No one is refreshing manually multiple times.

ondemandrefresh.png

This does not seem to happen with scheduled refreshes.

Yeah that looks like there is possible some kind of bug or the request is being sent through multiple times.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. It hasn't happened in a while, so maybe the bug was fixed.

Thanks for letting us know

Power BI Blog

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as the solution to close the case please. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Someone is manually running the refresh, or using the Power BI API's to refresh the data.

You can see it is doing this because in the image above, the Type says "On Demand"

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Gilbert,

I know the difference between "On Demand" and "Sheduled".

1. There is no API for workbooks - at least there is noting in the Power BI REST API reference guide. I doubt that it is undocumented functionality - I tried hard to make it work a couple of month ago. Therefore I do not think it is BAU API call driven.

2. I am the only person who is aware of these files, who has access to (the only member of ) this PBI group. After all I can't imagine a person how would hour after hour refresh PBI with 5 sec intervals and trigger refreshes manually. The gaps between refreshes less than 10 sec with files taking 10-30 min to refresh data model.

This must be an undesired functionality / bug.

Kind regards,

John

Hi there

The only other option is that everytime you upload the dataset to the Power BI Service, it will do an "On Demand" refresh?

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors