Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mittalpatel130
Helper III
Helper III

On Publish-Where does data store in case of Cloud Service vs PBI RS? Also Import vs DirectQuery?

Hello,

I am working on one project of Power BI Deployment. I have questions around where does data store when user publish reports using Power BI Desktop?

Where does data stay when publish to Power BI Cloud Service?

Where does data stay when publish to Power BI Report Server?

Where does data stay when publish to Power BI Cloud Service with Import only mode? 

Where does data stay when publish to Power BI Cloud Service with DirectQuery mode?

Where does data stay when publish to Power BI Report Server with Import only mode? 

Where does data stay when publish to Power BI Report Server with DirectQuery mode? 

Please help me understand the difference.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@mittalpatel130 The short answer is that if you use "Import" -> You will send data to the cloud. If you use "Direct Query, or Live Connection" the data will stay in the source and not be pushed to the cloud.

The long version, I wrote 4 blogs covering all these in depth, you can check them out here:

https://powerbi.tips/?s=connection

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@mittalpatel130

I am working on one project of Power BI Deployment. I have questions around where does data store when user publish reports using Power BI Desktop? Depends on your connection type

Where does data stay when publish to Power BI Cloud Service? Depends on your connection type

Where does data stay when publish to Power BI Report Server? On Premises

Where does data stay when publish to Power BI Cloud Service with Import only mode?  Pushed to the Cloud (Azure backend of Power BI)

Where does data stay when publish to Power BI Cloud Service with DirectQuery mode? Data stays in location of DB

Where does data stay when publish to Power BI Report Server with Import only mode? On Premises

Where does data stay when publish to Power BI Report Server with DirectQuery mode? Data stays in location of DB

Check out the security whitepaper, it addresses all the Could Service component of data handling. here

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer  - Thank you for your response.

I have gone through the URL you shared and still I am unclear on which connection type I should implement to restrict data to be sent to Cloud. 

Can you please brief me about which connection type you suggested for first 2 questions? 

Thank you

@mittalpatel130 The short answer is that if you use "Import" -> You will send data to the cloud. If you use "Direct Query, or Live Connection" the data will stay in the source and not be pushed to the cloud.

The long version, I wrote 4 blogs covering all these in depth, you can check them out here:

https://powerbi.tips/?s=connection

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors