Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

drallam
Helper II
Helper II

On-Premises Gateway problem

Hi,

I downloaded the gateway premesis and isntalled it with selecting On-Premises as the option. I hit the configure button and entered the name and recovery key.

After that i go to PowerBI Service to manage gateways and it gives me error showing "You Don't have any data gateways"

WhatI'm I doing wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @drallam,

Do you mean IT team entered their credentials rather than your account to configure the On-Premises Gateway? If so, that is why you cannot connect to the gateway in Power BI service logged in with your account. You should make sure the account configured in gateway is the same one you used to log into service.

If you need to install On-Premises Gateway (Personal mode), you should supply the windows user name and password that the windows service will run as. 

Reference: On-premises data gateway

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @drallam,

Do you mean IT team entered their credentials rather than your account to configure the On-Premises Gateway? If so, that is why you cannot connect to the gateway in Power BI service logged in with your account. You should make sure the account configured in gateway is the same one you used to log into service.

If you need to install On-Premises Gateway (Personal mode), you should supply the windows user name and password that the windows service will run as. 

Reference: On-premises data gateway

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@drallam Is the machine you installed the gateway on part of the same domain as the account you logged into the Service with? Did you use your credentials to set up the gateway?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Yes, it's the same domain.

So, to install the .exe file our IT team needs to enter the credentials. They remote in and enter it. So i think its probably installing it on their local App data not mine.

@drallam They would need to log in to the Power BI Service and add you as an administrator on the gateway. Wheel icon -> Manage Gateways -> Administrators in order for you to add data sources and manage the gateway

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Now i have this issue popping up. I don't find the application in program and features.

Issue.PNG

@drallam ok, I mis-understood your first post. I didn't realize you installed the personal. If you installed the regular OPD gateway, then you would likely have had to follow the above directions.

If they are installing the personal gateway, that is only applicable to their credentials. And you can't install multiple gateways on the same machine. If you want to install a single gateway for reporting within the organization I would suggest un-installing the personal gateway, and installing the regular on premises data gateway (OPDG) and follow my instructions (If IT installs that one as well).

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors