Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

On Premises Gateway can't access the on-premises data source

I have been creating dataset combining data from Teradata, and files stored on SharePoint and OneDrive. For some of these datasets, the scheduled refresh via the On Premises gateway (which is currently running on my PC) works fine, but for others it worked fine for a week or so on scheduled refresh, but then started to always fail with the message;

Last refresh failed: Thu Mar 08 2018 15:52:05 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)
We reached the data gateway, but the gateway can't access the on-premises data source.
Hide details

Cluster URI:WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:ae324436-bb45-78da-f1a0-a9a742ad95b0
Request ID:88a5239b-51aa-3771-b9b6-9520bc6afc1c
Time:2018-03-08 15:52:05Z

I'm using Power BI Desktop Version: 2.55.5010.641 32-bit and 64 bit (February 2018)

On-Premises gateway is 14.16.6614.5

I've tried re-creating the datasets from scratch, and at first everything works fine, but as soon as I add substantial data from SharePoint or OneDrive, the update fails.

I can refresh the data using the Desktop without problem.

22 REPLIES 22

Just sharepoint works. Just On-Prem works. I can have both in the same report, but as soon as I merge/combine them in Power Query, it fails. If I keep them as separate queries, the load them separately, I can then join them in DAX, but that doesn't quite do what I need it to do.

Yes, the machine(s) the Gateway nodes are running on all have access to the Sharepoint site, and I've authenticated into the Sharepoint site. Again:

• Sharepoint Queries refresh fine if loaded separately.
  • On Prem SQL data refreshes fine if loaded separately.
  • Merge the queries in power query, and it fails within 2-5 seconds saying it reached the gateway, but cannot access the on-prem server, which is absurd as all of the on-prem queries work fine until I merge them with the Sharepoint stuff.

Right now my horrible horrible workaround is to load these tables in the new DataFlows and them mashup sharepoint and dataflows, but that is just awful.

Any ideas? I am wondering if there is some config deep in our tenant that is causing this. It was first set up in 2015. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

I'm not sure enabling this would have an effect on on-prem Teradata.

I have to manually refresh 10+ times before it finally works:

2019-02-15_08h45_50.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors