Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

On Premises Data Gateway on a dataflow (cant access the Gateway)

I currently have an issue working with other developers on a dataflow.

Im quite new on the project. The other developer on the project created a dataflow against an on premesis database. When they set up the connection they had automatic access to the On Premesis data Gateway. so they used that and connected with the database credentials all OK

I then took ownership of the workflow because I want to work on them. However when I go into power Query Editor on the Service I get this

GatewayRequired.JPG

SelectGateway.JPG

I dont have a Gateway to connect to, whereas the other developers have a gateway in their List. this means that i know the company has a data gateway and I would like to use it.

I dont normally deal with On premesis data. Any tips with what I need to do would be great, either in Service or on the On Premesis Gateway myself.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@DebbieE 

The admin has to add you as a user of that particular source.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-data-sources#add-users-to-a-d...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DebbieE ,

Due to your data source is from on-premises, it requires to have a data gateway setup. And dataflow only support using Enterprise Gateway, and the user should be the administrator of gateway. You can refer the following documentations for more details.

Using dataflows with on-premises data sources

Getting Started With Dataflow in Power BI

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

"Due to your data source is from on-premises, it requires to have a data gateway setup. And dataflow only support using Enterprise Gateway, and the user should be the administrator of gateway. You can refer the following documentations for more details."

They do have and Enterprise Gateway set up though because other developers get access to the Gateway for the Dataflow. 

Are you saying that to use the Gateway you must be an administrator? I dont know if they are going to go for that?

Hi @DebbieE ,

Please try to request the owner of gateway to add you as gateway administrator, then check if you can find and choose the corresponding gateway in on-premises data gateway(see the part in red circle). You can refer this documentation about how to add the user as gateway administor. 

gateway list.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I wont be able to be an Administrator in this case. Surely you just need to be added as a user of the specific data source?

@DebbieE 

The admin has to add you as a user of that particular source.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-data-sources#add-users-to-a-d...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors