Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sinerka01
Regular Visitor

On-Premise Gateway

Greeting experts...

So here is my situation. I have my data warehouse in the Windows based VPS (cloud) using MYSQL. In the same VPS, I installed the on-premise gateway. The spesification of the VPS is top notch with 8 Gb memory. The gateway is installed and configured properly as stated in all articles about it. We have several BI accounts that using the gateway and I set the scheduled refresh to 4 times a day

However, I am getting error saying "The gateway is either offline or could not be reached" while the on-premise gateway actually online and the network is fine. The worst part is the error hit the accounts randomly. It means that we never know which account will be getting that error but it must be some accounts getting that error.

The other error I get is just simply "FAILED" without any further message or infomation. This is very frustrating since we don't know what's wrong with this. Is my gateway configuration incorrect? Or, is it the network? Or something else?

Can somebody help me on this? Really appreciate your advise, been through this condition for 2 months...thanks.......

Regards,

Andri

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you looked at the logs and metrics on the VPS?  Is it hitting memory limits? 

I would suggest having the gateway installed on a separate instance from your DW.  

Also, do you have a mix of live connections and import queries?  Are the sources only MySQL? 

@Sinerka01 I would suggest you dig into the gateway logs, those are accessible via the gateway on the machine. Alteranatively, you can match up any errors to the troubleshooting guide -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-tshoot

But the logs are your best bet in understanding what is happening during failures. Also, depending on your data size, 8GB Ram is really small in terms of memory, but that could be subjective depending on the data sizes your working with.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors