Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WunWun
Frequent Visitor

On-Premise Gateway - Web Data Sources Credentialing Issue

Hello everyone! I am managing my organizations Power BI Gateway and have run into a snag that is manageable now, but will not be soon.

Our customers prefer to use Excel files as the primary data sources for the report published the Power BI Service and consumed by their audience. We have encouraged them to use database sources, such as Oracle, but it continues to fall on deaf ears. These Excel files are then stored in a SharePoint folder. There are mulitple files and multiple SharePoints needing to be accessed. I've setup the gateway data source type as 'Web' and entered in the URL for the Excel file. The URL is obtained by opening the file from the SharePoint, selecting 'File', 'Info' and 'Copy Path', and removing the '?web=1' from the end of the URL. 

My issue comes to credentialing. I've selected 'OAuth2' for 'Authentication Method' and use my company credentials to sign in as I am authorized for each SharePoint so that Gateway can pickup the data for the scheduled refreshes. The problem comes in when I need to change my password per security policy. When my password changes, all of the data sources lose their connection in the gateway because the credentials now fail. As of now, we are just short of 30 web sources; although it is a pain, it is not insurmountable to go through each one and update the credentials. This will not be the case for much longer as Power BI is growing in popularity rather quickly in my company and more customers would like to use the scheduled refresh feature.

Any suggestions on what I can do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @WunWun ,

As @aj1973  said, you can try connecting the files on SharePoint without the gateway.

As an addition,Power BI connects to your file on OneDrive about every hour automatically. So you don't have to worry about schedule refresh.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

Please consider Accept post which is helpful for you as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @WunWun 

With data stored in Sharepoint online you don't need Gateway connection. How did you build your reports? online or using Power bi Desktop? Using desktop to connect to sharepoint is sometimes tricky whether it is a file or folder. Check Youtube, there is plenty of videos.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

WunWun
Frequent Visitor

Everything was built on Power BI Desktop.

If you do not need a gateway for SharePoint data sources, how can you schedule a data refresh?

Hi @WunWun ,

As @aj1973  said, you can try connecting the files on SharePoint without the gateway.

As an addition,Power BI connects to your file on OneDrive about every hour automatically. So you don't have to worry about schedule refresh.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

Please consider Accept post which is helpful for you as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-desktop-file-onedrive

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

WunWun
Frequent Visitor

I'll run through this on Monday and get back to you. Thank you for replying!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors