Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shaunwilks
Helper V
Helper V

On Premise Gateway Refresh and a Web datasource

Ok just to start with.

This page advises that the Web data source is supported in the "On Premise Gateway"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-scheduled-refresh

We have a Report that has a mix of SQL Server data source (on premise) and Web sources.

When we attempt to use the On Premise Gateway to refresh the SQL Data from on premise, the Service reports a failure because of the Web data source, and suggests we must use the "Personal Gateway"

Referring back to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-scheduled-refresh it says that Web data sources are not supported there and any attempts to setup the Personal Gateway to do it fail also.

The query we have in our solution is obtain foreign currency rates.

Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("https://x-rates.com/table/?from=AUD&amount=1")),

It updates fine locally - just not through the On Premise Gateway.

Is the MS link and description I provide above incorrect and does the On Premise Gateway not support Web sources?

Or is the link above correct and it only fails as there is a mix of data sources in the solution ?

It would seem very backward if Web Sources were not allowed to be Refreshed in the Schedule Refresh when there is an on Premise Gateway involved. Its the whole point of a web source - its not going to be static all the time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @shaunwilks 

What you will need to do when you have combined Web and on-premise data sources is to use the Gateway to refresh both of them.

Ensure that you have got the latest version of the On-Premise Data Gateway installed

Then make sure you have enabled this setting on manage Gateways in the Power BI Service

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @shaunwilks 

What you will need to do when you have combined Web and on-premise data sources is to use the Gateway to refresh both of them.

Ensure that you have got the latest version of the On-Premise Data Gateway installed

Then make sure you have enabled this setting on manage Gateways in the Power BI Service

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

The same solution had a

1) local SQL connection,

2) a Web source, and 

3) Csv.Document source (which obtains the CSV from a web address Web.Content).

When setting up the On Premise gateway we of course need a Data Source Configured for the SQL Conenction.

But the update failed because we didnt setup a Data Source for the Web Source.

What confuses the whole thing is the scheduled refresh doesnt fail on the  Csv Document.

So the confusuon is the fact a Web Source needs a Data Source, a SCV Web Content does not.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors