Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shubh
Frequent Visitor

On Premise Gateway Issue

Hey Everyone,

I am facing Timed out issue while refreshing my Dataset.

I want to get some clearity regarding On Premise Gateway(personal and standard both).I have read documents regarding it, but still not fully satisfied with it.

Do we need Azure Bus Service to Refresh my Data or we can refresh my data without Azure Bus Service??

Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Shubh

When you say you are getting a timeout, is that the timeout due to there not being any data in the pipeline?

Or putting it in another way is that for your data to be returned it is taking a very long time?

What is your data source?

If you can also ensure that you have got the latest version installed.

Either way when you install the On-Premise Gateway either Personal or Enterprise they both use the Azure Service Bus for communication.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ

Thanks for your response.

I am using an ODBC Connection. But haven't configured any Azure Service Bus for it.

Can you please tell me the procedure and license cost for the same??

My data get refreshed on Power BI  Desktop in 30-40 seconds by manual refresh

But on cloud(Power BI Services), it not refreshing neither by manual refresh nor by schedule refresh.

Though my gateway and Data Source credentials are successful.

Hi @Shubh

It would appear that you need to configure the DSN on your On-Premise Data Gateway server where you have installed.

Here is a person with a similar issue, as well as how they solved it

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Workflow-using-the-On-Premise-data-gateway-and-ODBC/td-p/79...

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ

I am getting a successful connection when i added data source to my gateway.

It is not showing any error in connection.

But when i refresh the dataset, it always show timeout error as it takes more than 2 hrs.

While refreshing it with Power BI Desktop, it get refreshed within 30-40 seconds.

And can you please tell me how to configure Azure Service Bus because presently i am not using this bus in anyway.

I have just added Data source to my gateway and connection for the same is successful.

Hi there, the Azure Service bus is controlled by the On-Premise Data Gateway. There is nothing for you to configure.

What I would suggest is to enable the logging on the On-Premise Data Gateway on your server to see why it is taking so long.

Also see if there are any issues on your server whilst the refresh is happening? Maybe the DSN needs a fully qualified name in order to find your ODBC source.

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ

I have install the gateway on my Desktop as i want to first check its working and configure with my organisation id as only i have the access to that Database from where i am fetching the data. Do i have to install gateway on server?

Do i need any Azure license for running Azure Service Bus???

Hi there,

You can install it on your desktop that should be fine. As long as your desktop can access the data via the DSN.

With regards to the Azure Service bus, there is no need to worry about anything with regards to it, it is all automatically configured. Just imagine that it is not even there. There is no licensing or configuration required for the Azure Service bus.

Power BI Blog

Hi,

So basically we dont need any access of Azure or Azure Service Bus.Just we need to install the gateway on any system which have the access of that database and 443 Port has to be opened for the same.

If i am wrong in any way, please correct me

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the reference for the required ports to be open. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem#ports

Also, make sure your gateway is installed in the same region that your data is being hosted. I had a gateway that was trying to refresh data from another country around the world in a database server. I was seeing the same kind of issue. This was causing issue in my environment. I acutally hosted the database in a local server rather accross the world.

Hi @Anonymous

As i have installed the gateway on my system and while me fetching data through sql via ODBC, so do i have to open required port for my system and server(where me fetching data) or just my system only??

And can tell me "make sure your gateway is installed in the same region that your data is being hosted" about this more.

I am from india and choosen region as south asia..will that work??

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Shubh

Your gateway server is the sytem that requires the ports open. Typically you will see issues with connectivity if your ports are not open correctly from your gateway.

For the issue I have notice with performance was noticed with the following setup, having an on-prem gateway in the US and then our Power BI teant is in South East Asia. When I setup a gateway connection in my US gateway server to refresh data in a Japan SQL server the data wasn't refreshing. I decided to move to sql data to a US server hosted in the same environment as the gateway. It appears the gateway server needs to be near or within the same region as your data.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/regions/

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/regions/services/

You can find service bus under Enterprise Integration. I think this is the connection to the Power BI Gateway server. Hope this helps!

That is 100% correct.

Power BI Blog

Hi ,

Thanks for ur time.

I will check it again and if i have any more queries regarding it then will let u know.

Thanks for the Help!!!

Cheers Mate

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors