Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dpombal
Post Patron
Post Patron

On Premise Datagateway NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService Password

Technical service changed the account which was using my On Premise Service on windows to use my login personal account.

I would like to restore the service to use NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService initial credentials. Which are the requirementes

4 REPLIES 4
joel_gibby_csc
Helper II
Helper II

I found that we can set logon account to NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService in services.msc without any password and the service starts up. However, in Power BI Service, all data sources become unavailable with a message that the gateway is not reachable.

joel_gibby_csc
Helper II
Helper II

Hello, bringing this back up. In the scenario of Azure AD Sync (on prem AD constantly sync'd with Azure AD), Microsoft recommends using the SID NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService for the gateway service with Kerberos constrained delegation SPN mappings set to the Computer account of the Gateway server.

To take advantage of this, I need to set the service back to logon with NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService.

Could you please share the steps? It asks for a password in the Gateway tool and services.msc as well. I'm not aware of the password.

Thanks!

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @dpombal

I am unsure what the password is. 

If I was in your siituation I would use a Domain Account, so that when the Power BI Gateway wants to connect to other sources you can use this domain account. Would make it easier to manage going forward.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

But what if domain account has password expiry every 2 months it is annoying to change password.

I would like to restore initial account, using NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService account.

Any help required.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors