Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

catcollector
Helper I
Helper I

On-Premise Data Gateway and Dataflow

I have a two-fold question that I will wrap into a single post. 

1. I have added multiple data sources in my on-premise data gateway (ODBC Athena and Redshift data sources). I see it when I go to Settings > Manage gateways:catcollector_1-1597874527349.png

However, when I go to create a dataflow > add entities > Amazon Redshift or ODBC I don't see my data sources that I have added in my on-premise data gateway. I assumed the purpose of adding the data source on the gateway would prevent me from having to key in the data source information each time I create a new dataflow from the existing data sources. Have I missed something?

See screenshot from the Redshift connector using Create > Dataflow option:catcollector_3-1597874877450.png

2.  When I added the ODBC Athena data source, for username and password, I ended up using an access key and secret key from AWS. If my business partners have to input this key and secret each time for dataflow, it can be cumbersone. Are there other methods of authentication that I can take? 

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @catcollector ,

For ODBC data sources, three authentication methods are provided, Basic, Anonymous, Windows.

v-lionel-msft_0-1597890566288.png

For Amazon Redshift, 'Basic' is used.

v-lionel-msft_1-1597890625334.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-lionel-msft Just curious, do you know how to get the data sources populated when using Dataflow as opposed to having business partners type in the dsn (ODBC) or server & database for Redshift? Once they key in those items, the username and password is populated encrypted, but it seems inefficient to have them key that in every time they use Dataflow. 

Hi @catcollector ,

I don't quite understand the problem you met, maybe you can refer to the official document.

Creating and using dataflows in Power BI 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors