Frequent Visitor

On-Premise Data Gateway: Data source access error

Hello,

I installed On-Premise Gateway on a standalone Windows 10 machine with local SQL Server 2016 including Analysis services running.

Installation and Setup is fine. Under PowerBI Desktop I built a report on "Analysis Services" as data source - running perfectly.

In my PowerBI account, under "Settings" - "Manage Gateways" I added this as data source which results in "Connection Successful".

I also called "Map user names" where I replaced <My PowerBI UPN> --> <My local SSAS Admin> (format: MyMachine\MyUserName).

But running the report results in the error: "There was a data source access error. Please contact the gateway administrator" and under details: "Couldn't load the schema for the database model".

I tried to restart the gateway service but failed:

""EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Error: 0 : Exception: Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayCommon.RestartGatewayException: Fehler beim Beenden/Starten des Gatewaydiensts. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Der Dienst On-premises data gateway-Dienst wurde nicht auf dem Computer . gefunden. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Der angegebene Dienst ist kein installierter Dienst"

My taskmanager shows, that the service is running and healthy:

PBIEgwService   23940   On-premises data gateway service    Wird ausgeführt

Is it possible that there is a localization issue? On my machine I have german OS but decided to install PowerBI in english. So I have running the service On-premises data gateway service but EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator expects On-premises data gateway-Dienst

2 issues:

- Can't (re-)start the service because it is apparently not running

- Can't access my report from within PowerBI Service althoug gateway connection is successfull.

BR

HMartin

Re: On-Premise Data Gateway: Data source access error

@HMartin

Please restart your machine to see if you can start/stop the service.

If the issue still persists, please capture the Fidder trace and open SQL Profiler on SSAS instance to see detail error message. 

Regards,

Frequent Visitor

Hi Simon,

thanks for your reply and your recommendations.

As I already mentioned, the gateway service is installed and running. I can start/stop it. Nevertheless, the "On-premises data gateway" utility states that the service could not be found and I also can not restart the service from within the utility. I am pretty sure that this is a localization issue. The utility always looks for "On-premises data gateway-Dienst" (german word for service) but installed is "On-premises data gateway service".

I'll try to uninstall the product and then run again PowerBIGatewayInstaller.exe. I could not find this installer for a specific language. I suppose that this one version uses the language of OS which in my case is German. All dialogs are in German. I found no way to make this installer use english language. 

In order to confirm my suspicion I'll try to repeat this procedure on a VM with english OS.

BR,

Martin 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi!

same issue here!

Workaround: rename the service to: "On-premises data gateway Dienst", restart the Server

and it's working.