Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BartEdgerton
Advocate I
Advocate I

On-Premesis Data Gateway fails, can't remove completely, can't reinstall

This "On-Premesis Data Gateway" junk failed on me again.   I've tried to uninstall and reinstall, but it will not reinstall, and I cannot remove it completely, and you have basically hosed my local PC just trying to use your crappy software.

The PowerBI desktop app crashes constantly, there are components in the desktop version that don't work anywhere else, so are therefore useless, this unconfigurable, unmonitorable, flaky data gateway sometimes works and sometimes doesn't for no apparent reason is totally unacceptable.  This is a terrible service offering.

Today will be the 3rd time that this technology has failed before I've even had a chance to demo it to anybody here.  I guess this means we will be going to Tableau.

Even your stupid forums don't work right.  It takes 3 tries each time you want to post a message because of this stupid "Labels" box that gives absolutely no idea of what that even means, it's just a blank box until you fail to submit, then you get a clue.  Also, I've got check email me when someone replies, but I've yet to see any email, even though when I come back to your stupid forum, it shows I have notifications for replies. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @BartEdgerton,

>>this unconfigurable, unmonitorable, flaky data gateway sometimes works and sometimes doesn't for no apparent reason is totally unacceptable

If you failed to install desktop, I think you need to check/fix your software environment first. If device not achieve minimum request, install operation will be failed.

Also if your environment is broken or missing some dll or libraries, it will also caused the install issues.

Tools for get log and repair environment:

How to View the System Log in Event Viewer

Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool

Troubleshooting reference links:

Resolve Issues when Power BI Desktop will not launch

Troubleshooting the on-premises data gateway

Azure data center ip range:

Microsoft Azure Datacenter IP Ranges

Gateway troubleshooting:

Collecting logs from the gateway configurator

There are several logs you can collect for the gateway, and you should always start with the logs. The simplest way to collect logs after installing the gateway is through the user interface. In the On-premises data gateway user interface, select Diagnostics and then select the Export logslink near the bottom of the page, as shown in the following image.

On-prem-data-gateway-UI-logs

Installer logs

%localappdata%\Temp\On-premises_data_gateway_*.log

Configuration logs

%localappdata%\Microsoft\On-premises Data Gateway\GatewayConfigurator*.log

On-premises data gateway service logs

C:\Users\PBIEgwService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\On-premises Data Gateway\Gateway*.log

Event Logs

The On-premises data gateway service event logs are present under Application and Services Logs.

On-prem-data-gateway-event-logs

>>I'm not a boy scout, I'm an IT professional trying to solve important business issues, and you don't even offer a service ticketing system, just this stupid open forums is the only way I have to get random help?

If above not help, you can follow below steps to submit support ticket at below support site:

Power bi support 

submit a support ticketsubmit a support ticket

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @BartEdgerton,

>>this unconfigurable, unmonitorable, flaky data gateway sometimes works and sometimes doesn't for no apparent reason is totally unacceptable

If you failed to install desktop, I think you need to check/fix your software environment first. If device not achieve minimum request, install operation will be failed.

Also if your environment is broken or missing some dll or libraries, it will also caused the install issues.

Tools for get log and repair environment:

How to View the System Log in Event Viewer

Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool

Troubleshooting reference links:

Resolve Issues when Power BI Desktop will not launch

Troubleshooting the on-premises data gateway

Azure data center ip range:

Microsoft Azure Datacenter IP Ranges

Gateway troubleshooting:

Collecting logs from the gateway configurator

There are several logs you can collect for the gateway, and you should always start with the logs. The simplest way to collect logs after installing the gateway is through the user interface. In the On-premises data gateway user interface, select Diagnostics and then select the Export logslink near the bottom of the page, as shown in the following image.

On-prem-data-gateway-UI-logs

Installer logs

%localappdata%\Temp\On-premises_data_gateway_*.log

Configuration logs

%localappdata%\Microsoft\On-premises Data Gateway\GatewayConfigurator*.log

On-premises data gateway service logs

C:\Users\PBIEgwService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\On-premises Data Gateway\Gateway*.log

Event Logs

The On-premises data gateway service event logs are present under Application and Services Logs.

On-prem-data-gateway-event-logs

>>I'm not a boy scout, I'm an IT professional trying to solve important business issues, and you don't even offer a service ticketing system, just this stupid open forums is the only way I have to get random help?

If above not help, you can follow below steps to submit support ticket at below support site:

Power bi support 

submit a support ticketsubmit a support ticket

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
BartEdgerton
Advocate I
Advocate I

And I'm sick of the stupid badges.  I'm not a boy scout, I'm an IT professional trying to solve important business issues, and you don't even offer a service ticketing system, just this stupid open forums is the only way I have to get random help?   The immaturity of your product offering is evident in every aspect.

Hi @BartEdgerton

It is a pity that you feel this way. 

I have been using the product since its inception and I have not experienced any of the issues you have experienced. That is both with Power BI Desktop and the On-Premise Data Gateway.

What I could suggest is to ensure that your PC has got the minimum requirements, and then take it from there.

Below is the link to the requirements for Power BI Desktop: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-get-the-desktop#minimum-requirements

The community is really great here at helping out others, as well as having real world experience with issues and how to solve them

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors