Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

On-Prem Gateway - Safe on ERP Server?

Hi there

A client is running Sage. This is on a single server, that is running SQL Server.

Is it safe to install the on-prem gateway on this server?

Regards

Chris

3 REPLIES 3
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous  ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best regards

Amy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Amy

Thanks for you help, but unfortunately that does not answer my question.

To clarify, this is my question:

Is it regarded as "safe"/"best practice" to install the gateway on a "live"/"production" SQL Server box.

Many thanks!

Regards

Chris

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

To install the on premise data gateway, there are some points you need considerate:

Minimum requirements:

• .NET Framework 4.6
  • 64-bit version of Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008 R2 (or later)

Recommended:

• 8-core CPU
  • 8 GB of memory
  • 64-bit version of Windows Server 2012 R2 (or later)
  • Solid state drive (SSD) based storage for spooling

Related considerations:

• The user installing the gateway is required to be the admin of the gateway.
  • The gateway can't be installed on a domain controller.
  • If you're planning to use Windows authentication, make sure you install the gateway on a computer that's a member of the same Active Directory environment as the data sources.
  • You shouldn't install a gateway on a computer, like a laptop, that might be turned off, asleep, or disconnected from the internet. The gateway can't run under any of those circumstances. Also, gateway performance might suffer over a wireless network.
  • You can install up to two on-premises data gateways on a single computer, one running in each mode (personal and standard). You can't have more than one gateway running in the same mode on the same computer.

You can learn more:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-indepth,

https://blog.pragmaticworks.com/power-bi-and-data-security-on-premises-data-gateway.

(Please understand that this link is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees of content changes, and confers no rights.)

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors