Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

swise001
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

On-Prem Data Gateway (personal mode) - Issues logging in and connecting to service.

I was recently prompted to upgrade my Data Gateway to the On-Prem (personal mode) Gateway version 14.16.6464.1

My experiences with the previous gateway were flawless, but the new version is giving me loads of problems and I want to see if anyone else is experiencing this.  My use is limited to the On-Prem personal mode. 

First I've experienced a major struggle to get the gateway online.  I sometimes have to repeatedly 'signin' 5-10 times prior to the gateway finally connecting (see below).   I also found that if I close the connected gateway sign-in screen, it signs out instead of running in the background.

Datagateway1.png

With the new gateway installed I deleted the old gateway connection in Power BI Service and added the new one.  I updated the credentials on my dataset and the files have refreshed successfully!  Then I go home and come back the next day to find that using the same gateway, same files, same credentials, it no longer refreshes - despite being connected and working the day before. 

large.png

It's extraordinarily frustrating because I'm stuck refreshing and publishing from the .PBIX files.   I can't figure out where I'm going wrong.  I've been doing this process for years now without much issue.  Has anyone else experienced this in the last few days or found a work around? (I am using the personal gateway as a short-term solution while the organization works towards full integration of the enterprise gateway). 

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @swise001,

Can you ensure your gateway service has setting to auto running?(You can check it at service)

5.PNG

BTW, f your service has setting to auto running, it will running when system started. You not need to open the gateway option page. (it used to sign in or switch the account, after your signed in, this page can only used to view the connection status)

You can check your gateway connection status at power bi service -> manage gateway.

6.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
swise001
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@v-shex-msft

Unsurprisingly, here is what I arrived to this morning: 

The personal gateway has connectivity issues... (First of 6 tries).

datagateway3.png

In the services menu, I don't even see the On-Premises gateway as an option, even with the gateway open and running on my computer.  

Additionally, when i try to manage gateways in Power BI Service, it does not show that I have any gateways connected.  As with all days, I have the gateway up and running on my computer.

Datagateway4.png

This is very frustrating, and I'm still unsure why this gateway so temperamental whereas the previous personal gateway I was using for years worked like a charm.  Any suggestions?

Hi @swise001,

>>Additionally, when i try to manage gateways in Power BI Service, it does not show that I have any gateways connected. 

Based on your description, it seems like you only install the on-premise gateway personal mode.

Current gateway contains two mode, personal mode and on-premise gateway.(personal gateway only works for personal user, it not need to setting the data sources)

on-prem-data-gateway-install-powerbi

>>The personal gateway has connectivity issues... (First of 6 tries).

Please check your firewall settings if your device has blocked ports or refresh service ip.

Here is a listing of the fully qualified domain names used by the gateway.

Domain names Outbound ports Description
*.download.microsoft.com 80 HTTP used to download the installer.
*.powerbi.com 443 HTTPS
*.analysis.windows.net 443 HTTPS
*.login.windows.net 443 HTTPS
*.servicebus.windows.net 5671-5672 Advanced Message Queuing Protocol (AMQP)
*.servicebus.windows.net 443, 9350-9354 Listeners on Service Bus Relay over TCP (requires 443 for Access Control token acquisition)
*.frontend.clouddatahub.net 443 HTTPS
*.core.windows.net 443 HTTPS
login.microsoftonline.com 443 HTTPS
*.msftncsi.com 443 Used to test internet connectivity if the gateway is unreachable by the Power BI service.
*.microsoftonline-p.com 443 Used for authentication depending on configuration.

Microsoft Azure Datacenter IP Ranges

Reference:

On-premises data gateway

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors