Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pikers
Frequent Visitor

On Demand Refresh of Data in A Shared Report Without Being a Member of the Workspace

I've created a report that is published to Power BI service and has been shared with several people that are not part of the workspace. Due to security reasons, I cannot add these users to the workspace. I've scheduled the report to refresh 3 times a day, but that is not enough for these users. So, the question...

Is there a way for the these users to refresh the dataset tied to this report on demand without being added to the workspace? I know there is a refresh button within the report but that appears to only refresh the report agasint the dataset, it does not refresh the dataset itself. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

A possible way is to create a PowerApp which has a button, which in turn uses Microsoft Flow to refresh the dataset.

The only caveat is that with Power BI Pro you get 8 refreshes a day and a user could press the button 8 times in on hour.

I would suggest scheduling it once an hour during business hours. And explain to the users that is the soonest it can be refreshed.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

A possible way is to create a PowerApp which has a button, which in turn uses Microsoft Flow to refresh the dataset.

The only caveat is that with Power BI Pro you get 8 refreshes a day and a user could press the button 8 times in on hour.

I would suggest scheduling it once an hour during business hours. And explain to the users that is the soonest it can be refreshed.

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the reply. 

Unfortunately, due to some internal restrictions, I cannot pulish an app, I can only share dashboards and reports. Looks like I'll have to stick with just having this run every hour during normal business hours. 

Thanks again!

No worries, glad to assist

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors