cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
pikers Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

On Demand Refresh of Data in A Shared Report Without Being a Member of the Workspace

I've created a report that is published to Power BI service and has been shared with several people that are not part of the workspace. Due to security reasons, I cannot add these users to the workspace. I've scheduled the report to refresh 3 times a day, but that is not enough for these users. So, the question...

Is there a way for the these users to refresh the dataset tied to this report on demand without being added to the workspace? I know there is a refresh button within the report but that appears to only refresh the report agasint the dataset, it does not refresh the dataset itself. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: On Demand Refresh of Data in A Shared Report Without Being a Member of the Workspace

Hi there

A possible way is to create a PowerApp which has a button, which in turn uses Microsoft Flow to refresh the dataset.

The only caveat is that with Power BI Pro you get 8 refreshes a day and a user could press the button 8 times in on hour.

I would suggest scheduling it once an hour during business hours. And explain to the users that is the soonest it can be refreshed.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
"Proud to be a Datanaut!"
Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: On Demand Refresh of Data in A Shared Report Without Being a Member of the Workspace

Hi there

A possible way is to create a PowerApp which has a button, which in turn uses Microsoft Flow to refresh the dataset.

The only caveat is that with Power BI Pro you get 8 refreshes a day and a user could press the button 8 times in on hour.

I would suggest scheduling it once an hour during business hours. And explain to the users that is the soonest it can be refreshed.

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

pikers Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply. 

Unfortunately, due to some internal restrictions, I cannot pulish an app, I can only share dashboards and reports. Looks like I'll have to stick with just having this run every hour during normal business hours. 

Thanks again!

Super User
Super User

No worries, glad to assist

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Topics Started Badges Coming

New Topics Started Badges Coming

We're releasing new versions of the badge that everyone's talking about. ;) Check your inbox for notifications.

MBAS 2020

Save the new date (and location)!

Our business applications community is growing—so we needed a different venue, resulting in a new date and location. See you there!

Difinity Conference

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)