Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Office 365 group not showing up in Power BI workspace

Hi Team,

I've an Office 365 group and I would like to use that group for Power BI workspace to create reports and dashboards. When I try to search this group in my list of Power BI workspace's this group is not appearing it.

Is there any reason or limitations to get the Office 365 group in Power BI workspace. Could you please help to share your inputs how we can see the Office 365 in Power BI workspace. 

Thanks & Regards,

Tamil

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Ah I'm sorry I misunderstood you.
Are you also a member of the O365 group? Otherwise you won't be able to see it in Power BI I believe. Can you check in the Admin Portal (with someone with the Power BI Service Administrator role) if the workspace is created?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

View solution in original post

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @rivo201,

the creation of O365 groups and Power BI workspaces has been decoupled a while back. I (and many with me) think that's a good thing, because now you specifically have to create either two.

So your analysis is correct and it works as designed. 😀

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous, 

O365 groups can only be used in the "new workspaces".

You can recognize them by the word Access in the top right options. 

image.png

Otherwise it's an old workspace. If you are an Admin of on old workspace, you can upgrade it:

• Click the ellipsis (3 dots) and select Edit this workspace, only an Admin can do this
  • Scroll down and expand Advanced
  • Click Upgrade now

image.png

After that you can use the O365 group and assign it any of the roles in the workspace!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @nickyvv Thanks for your update. I've activated the new look already, here the issue is that when I try to search the Office 365 group name which I've owner rights is not showing in my list of Power BI workspaces. Could you please help, how we can get the Office 365 group in workspaces.

Tamilarasan_0-1592561119465.png

Regards,

Tamil

Ah I'm sorry I misunderstood you.
Are you also a member of the O365 group? Otherwise you won't be able to see it in Power BI I believe. Can you check in the Admin Portal (with someone with the Power BI Service Administrator role) if the workspace is created?

EDIT:

Problem was that Tentant setting "Block classic workspace creation" was enabled. I Disabled it, created O365 group and Workspace was created.

Hi! 

Im having also an issue.

When I Create Power BI Workspace  in Power BI environment --> Workspace dows not show up in Office 365 admin center..
When I Create Group from Office 365 Admin Center, workspace dows now show in Power BI environent. 
I am Admin and also a member of that group. 

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @rivo201,

the creation of O365 groups and Power BI workspaces has been decoupled a while back. I (and many with me) think that's a good thing, because now you specifically have to create either two.

So your analysis is correct and it works as designed. 😀

Thanks. Decopled is good yes.. But if i would like to handle workspace access in O365 then its not possible if workspace has been created seperatly - or is it? Accually For now dont even know why i´m trying to use O365 for that... Have been using PBI about 4 year

If You have some reading for best/common practice would be happy to learn 🙂  

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

@rivo201 

We use AAD-groups (mail enabled security groups) for access to workspaces and apps.

Have a look here for a few best practices:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @nickyvv No problem. Yes, I just added the user account in members group and now able to see the Office 365 group in list of workspaces. Thank you so much for your quick reply on this, really appreciated!! 

But, have query on this why the user account needs to be added in both owners and members group. I created a Teams and added my account as owner based on that, I can able to see the group in list of workspaces here in this group my account is not included in the members group.

Can you please clarify on this why this different behavoring happening for adding/not adding members.

@Anonymous,
that does sound strange to me. I've never seen that happen I think.
You could file a support ticket (free for Pro users) and see what they say.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure @nickyvv will check and open a support ticket to get some clarity on this.

Thanks again for your support 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors