Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Office 365 Groups have created lots of App Workspaces

Every time a new office 365 workspace is created by someone it appears in Power BI service under App Workspaces. Its so annoying because I have so many App workspaces and most arent required.

can I get rid of them or tell the person who creates these Office 365 Workspaces what to do to stop it from happening?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @DebbieE, there's a little nuance here:

There is a 2-way direction of a Power BI workspace and an O365 group.

When you create a (new) workspace, no corresponding O365 group is created anymore, so far so good!

But when you create an O365 group (or Team that creates an O365 group under the hood), a Power BI workspace is still created, tied to that group. And when you delete the workspace (as an Admin) the group is also deleted along with all the other associated content!

A workaround is the following:

• Identify the (classic) workspace you want to delete and make sure you are an Admin of said workspace
  • Upgrade the workspace to the new experience, this removes the coupling between the O365 group and the workspace
  • Delete the workspace

Maybe overstating, but you should test this on a workspace/O365 group you're not too font of 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous,

please have a look at the two video's below, it will eventually be fixed, it will just take a few months more:
Why does Microsoft Teams create a Power BI workspace???
Want to know when Teams will STOP creating Workspaces in Power BI???

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @DebbieE 

Power bi classic workspace has a one-to-one corresponding relations with Office365 group, so they will show in Office365 and power bi together, your requiremnt could not be achieved in power bi for now.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

But this isnt Power BI workspaces.  Its workspace groups created in Office 365

hi  @DebbieE 

Yes, they are same, when you create a group in Office 365, the corresponding power bi classic app workspace will be created too.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

And is there no way to stop this from happening. Or Can we get rid of the Power BI Classic apps that arent being used? Im worried that If I try to delete in Power BI Service they will be removed in Office 365

Also, if we are now well past the Power BI Classic mode, why are they still able to be created in this way?

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @DebbieE, there's a little nuance here:

There is a 2-way direction of a Power BI workspace and an O365 group.

When you create a (new) workspace, no corresponding O365 group is created anymore, so far so good!

But when you create an O365 group (or Team that creates an O365 group under the hood), a Power BI workspace is still created, tied to that group. And when you delete the workspace (as an Admin) the group is also deleted along with all the other associated content!

A workaround is the following:

• Identify the (classic) workspace you want to delete and make sure you are an Admin of said workspace
  • Upgrade the workspace to the new experience, this removes the coupling between the O365 group and the workspace
  • Delete the workspace

Maybe overstating, but you should test this on a workspace/O365 group you're not too font of 🙂

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Im guessing that there must be something in the issues log about this Im sure no one wants Classic App workspaces everytime someone creates a new Office 360 Group

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

That's however "by design" for legacy-reasons at this time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can it be fixed? Because I am submerged by the number of workspaces in Power BI due to the creation of Microsoft O365 Group...

Hi @Anonymous,

please have a look at the two video's below, it will eventually be fixed, it will just take a few months more:
Why does Microsoft Teams create a Power BI workspace???
Want to know when Teams will STOP creating Workspaces in Power BI???

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

See if this thread helps:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Prevent-users-from-creating-workspaces/td-p/120340

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors