Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Office 365 Groups - Workspaces and Security Roles

I'll be using Office 365 groups to manage access to workspaces as well as report security via roles.  My concern is regarding the addition of new individuals to groups in the future.  I've seen some posts here suggesting that sharing a report with a group only shares it with the individuals who are in the group at that time, and anyone added to the group down the road would not automatically get access to those same items that were shared.  Those posts were a few years old, so I'm wondering whether this experience has been improved at all.  

My main questions are: 

1. If we share an item with an Office 365 group or give an Office 365 group access to a certain workspace, will individuals added to the group in the future automatically get access to the shared items or workspaces?
  2. If we create roles within a report that restrict access to data and then add users to those roles via Office 365 groups, will individuals added to those groups in the future automatically have their data restricted, or will they need to be added to roles individually?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What I would suggest doing for point 1, is to rather share the reports and dashboards via the App. This will then mean that users who are in a group or get added to a group will automatically get access.

For point 2, as long as you are refreshing the data, the users in those groups should then be added to the security roles when they log in.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What I would suggest doing for point 1, is to rather share the reports and dashboards via the App. This will then mean that users who are in a group or get added to a group will automatically get access.

For point 2, as long as you are refreshing the data, the users in those groups should then be added to the security roles when they log in.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors