Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zenisekd
Super User
Super User

Occasional scheduled refresh errors of postgre SQL: PostgreSQL: Exception while reading from stream

Hi everyone, 

I have a problem that I can't figure out by myslef...

I use Posgre SQL database (on AWS) IMPORT. 

I loaded about 30 tables (I use the dataset as a datasilo). 

I made a couple of complex calculations in DAX, in order to get a ABC-XYZ analysis. 

Everything eventually worked fine. I managed to upload the file and refresh it. 

Now here comes the problem: Once I schedule a refresh, it works only about 30% of the time. 

Giving me an error: PostgreSQL: Exception while reading from stream.

To me, the puzzle is, that another dataset (with just a few tables) from the same source works fine every time. 

Any suggestions what should I do?

I have read something about setting up Timeout, however I am not sure why would it be sometimes working and sometimes not...

Thanks in advance for your advice.

image.png

7 REPLIES 7
zenisekd
Super User
Super User

After some communication with MS support, I have learned that the exception is:

Microsoft.PowerBI.Common.PowerBIModelRefreshFailedDueToUserErrorException: Data refresh failed due to an error in the data processing engine due to user.

Error ErrorCode="3242524690" Description="{"error":{"code":"ModelRefresh_ShortMessage_ProcessingError","pbi.error":{"code":"ModelRefresh_ShortMessage_ProcessingError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"Message","detail":{"type":1,"value":"PostgreSQL: Exception while reading from stream"}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}}" Source="Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Analysis Services" HelpFile=""

They will further investigate it.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Could be query timeout issues but my money is on an overloaded PostgreSQL server.  In your Power BI file, disallow parallel loading of tables and see if that improves reliability (at the expense of speed).

Timeout set to 90 minutes, didnt help. Now I am testing your slow solution...

Also talk to the owner of the PostgreSQL server to see if they can do diagnostics on their end, and maybe add an index or two.

it runs on AWS... not sure, if there could be an issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same intermittent problem refreshing multiple datasets with PostgreSQL in AWS. Did you get closer to a solution ?

After a lot of digging it turned up, that it was caused by the way I cleaned the tables in Power Query and connected them afterward (I think that there was some duplicity in ID in some table for some strange reason). For some reason, I would work in the desktop and it could be uploaded to Power BI, but when it tried to do a scheduled refresh, it would fail. 

So my recommendation is to go thoroughly through your Power query steps and model and look for any kind of error when loading the data to your model...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors