Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OPDG Cluster, not failing over

Hey guys,

I'm trying to setup a OPDG Cluster just to see how well it's failing over and I can't seem to make it work. I can clearly see I'm setup in a cluster when I run Get-OnPremisesDataClusterGateways. It works fine too, I can create connections and all is good. 

I just can't get it to fail over. As soon as I disable my "primary" gateway (stop service or shut down the computer), Power BI start throwing errors : Not all gateway instance within this cluster are connected. I can't find anything on that error, so I looke in the logs and I can find a trace pointing to the azure service bus not managing the fail over adequately. It looks like it's trying to make the switch, but it can't. 

Anyone else is trouble shoting this issue ?  

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it ! 

I hope this helps
9 REPLIES 9
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @LucLabelle,

How did you configure your gateway cluster? Can you please provide more detail contents?

Normally, if you has multiple similar datasource who host on different gateways(source name, path and type), power bi will auto use another gateway to manage update when main gateway is failed.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi, 

I've installed and configure the gateway on emy OPDG1 Server. Then installed on OPDG2, but added this server to a cluster, then selected my OPDG1 as the anchor. 

I can see in powerbi.com that only my OPDG1 is registered so the OPDG2 is in the cluster. 

The problem starts when I "kill" my PODG1 server. 

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

I hope this helps

Hi @LucLabelle,

Actually, power bi not support auto switch gateway.

If you kill first one, you need to manually choose another gateway to manage update operations.(setting -> datesets)

Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi, thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Based on this article : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-high-availability-clusters  HA is acheavable.

Where did you find it wasn't "supported" ?

Thanks, 

I hope this helps

HI @LucLabelle,

Hmmm, I think I found the casing of the issue.

According to document, it mentioned primary gateway of cluster must be running.
(I think if primary gateway of cluster is down, the cluster will be disabled)

Reference link:

High availability clusters for on-premises data gateway

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hi,

I was actually going to test that today. Their is an "anchor" property on the nodes. It's configured as "on" for the first node by defautl. I'll see if I can switch it to the second node.

I'll let you know how this goes.

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it ! 

I hope this helps

It turns out, even if I turn off the second server, I have the same problem. From a Power BI perspective, both servers have to be runing it seems. Kinda defeats the purpose. This must be a bug of something. 

Weird thing tho, in Power Apps, the gateway status is : Live 

I'll keep looking for a fix. I need this to work. I need HA, so... 

I hope this helps

Hi @LucLabelle,

According to your description, the issue sounds more related to gateway cluster itself. 
I'd like to suggest you submit a support ticket for this issue.Submit a support ticketSubmit a support ticket

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hi, 

I will try rebuilding the cluster. I'm thinking it might be realated to the fact both gateways are on Azure VMs...

I hope this helps

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors