I have various dashboards running on scheduled refresh up in the power BI service which have one of their data sources as OData connection from our O365 SharePoint sites / lists.
These connections work fine in desktop and have been working fine in the Power BI Service up until yesterday, but now will not authenticate when trying to set the data source credentials as part of a scheduled data refresh. I have tried the same sites with the SharePoint (get data) connection and get the same issue in the service, although like the Odata connections works fine when using Power BI Desktop.
For those we had already set up as scheduled refreshes have all failed now due invalid credentials on the odata connections, however we are unable to set them due to the above and no changes have been made to make them invalid in the first place.
The Credentials are correct, they work in the desktop no problem and I sign in no problem in the Power BI Service and our Office 365 SP sites using the same credentials.
We have tested this with a few users on our tenant and all getting the same issue.
Anyone else getting this issue / Know how to solve it please?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards Ste
We are getting the below erros.
Your data source can't be refreshed because thecredentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again.Your data source can't be queried because the credentials are not provided. Please provide your credentials and try again.
I have't reproduced your issue. When I "Edit Credentials" successfully in DataSet setting, it prompts the web page for entering credential if I select OAuth type to sign in.
I'm having the exact same issue. I connected to my OneDrive Excel sheet using the following method:
This has worked for me for months (and continues to work with my Power BI Desktop files). However, this week the files are not refreshing online because they say my login credentials are invalid. Nothing has changed on my end though. My username and password are the same, and I haven't uploaded any new desktop files.
Thanks for the update, apologies for the delayed response I have been on holiday the past two weeks.
I am still getting the issue, that being said I think I have narrowed down where the issue may be.
The issue seems to only occur when I am trying to set the credentials from on-prem (within my AD environment), when I am not on my corporate network it seems to work.
We have MFA (Multi Factory Authentication) set up for our O365 but when within our internal AD environment, we are white listed (Our network IP range is) so it does not prompt for our second factory. When using Power BI service external to our network I am prompted for my Second factory Auth when setting the credentials and this works fine.
Connecting to all other O365 services from on prem work fine (without having to be prompted for the second factory) they also work externally, with being prompted.
We do remember that in the past we had an issue similar to this and the problem was caused when we moved from ADFS 2.0 to 3.0 and we lost the setting for having Forms Authentication set in our authentication polices. However, we have now checked this now we have narrowed down the issue and the issue is still persistent even tho forms authentication is set on.
We have logged this with our Premier support contact we have here now, so will let you know what they say too.
@mwinkels not sure if this helps you or if you have MFA, it might be the same issue?
We see exactly the same issue as @SteHext.
I can confirm that connecting to an external network and signing in using MFA is a workarround for this issue.
If you are using Internet Explorer, add this site to your trusted sites.
-- in the IE Internet Options, Security, Trusted Sites
It solved the problem for me.
Tried this and unfortunately it didn't work. The Premier support engineer I have been delaying has took a fiddler trace and is escalating it to the product group.
Will update when I have more info.
The call is still open, its now been escalated to the SP team from the Power BI team, as soon as I have more info i will let you know. As a work around I have logged in external to our network to set the credentials which allows the refresh to work no problem and the service remembers the credentials so unless there is a change no need to set again.
Extract from premier update as of 24/10/16:
"It is been a long time since I updated you. The SharePoint team was investigating this issue. They have informed me, it requires further investigation and possible escalation to the product team. "
Will keep you all posted as i know more.