Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

monty
Advocate I
Advocate I

OData: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed

We provide an OData4 producer that offers customers access to a wide range of platforms such as AFAS Profit, Twinfield, Teamleader, Chargebee or Exact Online. Part of the user community uses Power BI desktop, but several use dataflows.

We find that at last during the last 6 months the use of dataflows is unreliable. Downloads larger than 10 MB (characters, uncompressed, larger than 1 MB compressed ) end in an error:

OData: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed

From our monitoring screen on https://bridge-online.cloud/monitoring we see that the data was already returned to the Power BI service approximately 60 seconds before the error occurs. This is sometimes 50 seconds and sometimes 65 seconds, but always around one minute after the OData stream is closed on our side with a HTTP 200 status. Clocks are all synchronized to within 10-15 seconds maximum time difference. We can see that even the TCP ports have already been closed long before the error occurs.

Smaller downloads - even when downloaded in parallel - are succesfull.

It seems that the dataflows service is chewing on the data for 1 minute and then fails somehow with a generic and incorrect error message.

Sofar the workarounds available are chopping up the download in smaller dan 10 MB size parts or reverting to the Power BI desktop.

However, it introduces churn and decreases customer satisfaction so a solution would be helpful.

Complicating is that the error occurs outside our software; we can not detect which customers run into this problem.

What can users of OData4 feeds do to stay on dataflows with larger OData4 downloads?

8 REPLIES 8
monty
Advocate I
Advocate I

The problem still occurs, but users with PPU subscriptions find it occuring less. Regular Power BI subscriptions still often trigger this problem, especially with large downloads. Somehow PowerBI.com also seems to run into an endless loop, downloading the same dataset hundreds (!) of times. On one occassion, a user downloaded in one morning over 2 terabytes (uncompressed) of data, but still without result, 184 tries... 

The PowerBI.com scheduling is not really great in terms of production use facilities for logging and control. Azure Data Factory is a better choice, but has a different (more technical) audience.

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @monty ,

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved?

If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

Hi, no, the problem has not been solved. There is yet no suggestion other than workarounds listed myself.

any further improvements to this odata issue

No, dataflow stills errors out approximately one minute after OData download finishes.

oh, this is disappointing

🙂 but maybe a good reason to drive new business for premium products.

monty
Advocate I
Advocate I

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors