Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lalkiran

ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][DriverOAuthSupport] (8701) Error interacting with REST API

Hi,

I am accessing Google BigQuery API through Power BI Desktop and I am getting below error:

ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][DriverOAuthSupport] (8701) Error interacting with REST API

Details: "ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][DriverOAuthSupport] (8701) Error interacting with REST API: Couldn't connect to server
ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][DriverOAuthSupport] (8701) Error interacting with REST API: Couldn't connect to server"

Any idea what it is and how to resolve this? 

This shouldn't be access related as I am able to access BigQuery from Web UI.

Thanks,

Lal

8 REPLIES 8
AlexanderBrueck
Regular Visitor

Same issue here - for the last 4-6 weeks reports randomly fail to refresh with error message "ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][DriverOAuthSupport] (8701) Error interacting with REST API: Couldn't connect to server ERROR"

The only solution found yet is to refresh reports in the desktop app and upload it again.

Anyone has idea how to tackle this problem?

@AlexanderBrueck , 

That's how I sorted it:

1) Load BigQuery data into PowerBI dataflows, using it as a 'mini' data source.
2) Add the billing-id in the source step (at PowerBi dataflows)

Once it's done, I schedule a refresh between the Dataflows and Google BigQuery, which works just fine. Then I have to change in PowerBI desktop the source of the dataset (from BigQuery to PowerBI Dataflows).

Back to service, I set up the refresh of the dataset to sometime after the refresh of the dataflows is done (I let 2 hours of difference). So far is working fine.

Worth mentioning that Microsoft got in touch with me saying the problem is with BigQuery. But Google BigQuery says the problem is not on their end either - especially because it's possible to update the data through PowerBI Desktop. I hope the solution above help this out.

I did it 2 months ago and so far the schedule refresh worked 99% (only 1 day it didn't refresh).

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @lalkiran ,

Can you please share more detail information to help us clarify your scenario? In addition, you can also use fiddler to trace connection operation to find out which type of request failed or blocked. 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

@v-shex-msft 

I have Firebase data hosted on Google BigQuery (sandbox). I want to access that data through Power BI for my reporting purpose. When I am trying to do this using 'Google BigQuery' API (available in Power BI). I have got this error:

Error ScreenshotError Screenshot

I would like to know what is causing this error? I have used the Admin creds for this.

Hello, I have the same issue. In my case, it works fine since my personal network, but since my office it fails with the same error message.

Could you mention what kind of connection is used by this connector: "GoogleBigquery"

Maybe is a trouble of limitations in the firewall of office.

Please help me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

We are having the same issue.

Is there any more info on this?

Best,

Ali A

Same issue here. Everything was working fine, but as of last Sunday it doesn't work at all. If I want to refresh the data, I need to go to PowerBI Desktop and do it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have been loading through a set up gateway. That works much better.

Best,

Ali A

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors