Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TePe
Helper III
Helper III

OAUTH popup window error

Hi,

we're trying to load users from AAD into Power BI as described here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Get-Data-Active-Directory/m-p/73792#M30680. This works fine with the Power BI Desktop. If I now try to move the same code to Data Flows I need to use an Organizational Account here as well. So the OAUTH window pops up and closes within a fraction of a second presenting the message that an error happened. 

What can I do?

Thanks,

Thomas

8 REPLIES 8
JamesWick
Helper I
Helper I

I'm trying to get information from SharePoint, so you don't need to use a gateway for that. In my case, I use the gateway to get the information from the on-premises server as well. The important thing is that after you specify None for the gateway field and leave the authentication type as your organization account, everything will run fine.

J Wick

huntingtonog
Frequent Visitor

I was able to fix this by eliminating the last two parts of my url... "/sites/data" and retrying with Data Gateway: None and Organizational selected.

The popup persisted instead of going away, I was able to sign in on the organizational account, then I was able to go back and add the "/sites/data" on my sharepoint folder URL and have it go through correctly.

THIS WORKS!

I use Dataflows with Power BI and Odata feed connections and no other solution works except this one, thanks!

v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TePe ,

What's the error message? You could provide a screenshot of the error or share the details of the error in text here.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Hi,

sorry for the late feedback... The exact error message is: There was an error in the OAuth popup window (Session ID: xxxxxxx). You see the popup window for a fraction of a second before it goes away and you see the following message:Annotation 2020-03-10 134450.png

Thanks,

Thomas

Hi @TePe ,

You could use "Basic" authentication instead of Organizational. Please check if it works.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Hi

Just tried... It asks me "Please specifiy how to connect". There's the button with "configure connection" where I can choose between anonymus, basic and "organizational account" authentication. When I use basic I can go and provide my user in the format user@domain.com and provide my password. But no matter if I provide a correct or incorrect login it just jumps back and asks "Please specify how to connect".

Here's the M-Code I'm using.

let
  Query = (MyDomain as text, MyGroup as text) =>
let
    Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://graph.windows.net/" & MyDomain & "/groups/" & MyGroup & "/members?api-version=1.6")),
    value = Source[value],
    fnGetGroupMember = Table.FromList(value, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), nullnull, ExtraValues.Error)
     in
    fnGetGroupMember
in
  Query

Yes, not elegant, but it works in Power BI Desktop. Parameters you need is a domain and the GUID of a group you have there...

THANKS & Best Regards,

Thomas

HI Any resolution to this yet as i am having the same issues, I am trying to connect tot eh File on Sharepoint( Its in teams) and we have an org account that has set access to read all the information so dataflows is logged in as me. 

There was an error in the OAuth popup window (Session ID:XXX)

I try basic does not work.

any other suggestions?

thanking you in advance

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors