Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jpapador
Frequent Visitor

O365 required for Power BI Pro

I would like to set up a isolated tenant of Power BI.  I am wondering if I can just purchase the $10 licenses for my users or if I first need something like Office 365 E1 for $8 + the PBI Pro $10?  

I was hoping to be able to pay for Azure AD Cloud to manage the users and then PBI Pro licenses.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

No, you can just use Power BI by itself without an Office 365 license. We have had customers that were only using Power BI and not using Office 365. It creates a "shadow tenant" in Office 365 that you have to convert when the customer eventually decides that they want Office 365. So, just beware of that issue.

In my opinion, I would create my Office 365 tenant first, pay for a single license of something like an F1 at like $4 bucks a month and then setup your Power BI on that tenant just to reduce hassles later on, but that really up to you.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

No, you can just use Power BI by itself without an Office 365 license. We have had customers that were only using Power BI and not using Office 365. It creates a "shadow tenant" in Office 365 that you have to convert when the customer eventually decides that they want Office 365. So, just beware of that issue.

In my opinion, I would create my Office 365 tenant first, pay for a single license of something like an F1 at like $4 bucks a month and then setup your Power BI on that tenant just to reduce hassles later on, but that really up to you.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks, this is helpful!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors