Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Notification Repeatedly Triggered by Same Value

Hi there,

I have created a report and dashboard on PowerBI Web designed to trigger a notification when the average price of a product deviates dramatically (+/- 40%). The dataset it is based on updates regularly, so I would like the ability to receive my alert every hour.

However, despite the promise that 'Alerts are only sent if your data changes', this notification is repeatedly tirggered by the exact same value appearing in the tile that it is assigned to:

JoshGray_0-1638434890222.png

JoshGray_1-1638435027382.png

(note - the value in the example is actually always 0.705381212357567, it's not just that there are minor changes occuring that I can't see).

Has anyone come across this issue before? Is there any way to resolve?

Also I am a first time poster so please let me know if I should be including additional information in my request.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hello @Anonymous 

Welcome to the community! Thanks for a clear post setting out your question.

In this case you're reading too much into the alert intelligence.

An alert simply works by arthmetically comparing the value on the visualisation with the threshold value and firing if it is larger (or smaller).

Here you are comparing 0.70538.. with 0.4 so the alert fires because 0.7>0.4=TRUE.

You cannot do anything complex like fire the alert if the value has increased by 40%, you can only compare the value with a constant and fire if it is above or below that constant.

hope this helps.

Stuart

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hello @Anonymous 

Welcome to the community! Thanks for a clear post setting out your question.

In this case you're reading too much into the alert intelligence.

An alert simply works by arthmetically comparing the value on the visualisation with the threshold value and firing if it is larger (or smaller).

Here you are comparing 0.70538.. with 0.4 so the alert fires because 0.7>0.4=TRUE.

You cannot do anything complex like fire the alert if the value has increased by 40%, you can only compare the value with a constant and fire if it is above or below that constant.

hope this helps.

Stuart

How ist this the accepted answer? The stated problem was, that the alert was repeatedly sent, even when the value did not change. This problem has not been addressed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors