Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not receiving mail update once data in report refreshed

Hello Community,

I suscribed to my Power Bi Report in order to receive a weekly mail once the data is refreshed. Below a snapshot of my subscription:

Capture.PNG

The data of this report is excel based. Hence every week I a add new data in the excel sheet, then go to power Bi desktop and click on refresh all and then finally ulpoad the report to Power Bi Web. I have done this process twice and did not receive any mail once the data was refreshed on Power Bi. I am wondering if the "after data refresh option" in the subscription only works for reports which are automatically refreshed rather than reports such as mine which are manualy refreshed via excel.

Hope you can help and thank you in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dim24,

Hope you doing good, I am also in the excatlly same situation, my subscription is not running once i refreshed the excel source.

Please let me know how you solve yours , did you have to install gateway and did it solve your problem. 

Thanks 

Amrita 

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

Your action is "Republish report" not "Refresh report".

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-scheduled-refresh

And for your requirement, you need to install a gateway and then set scheduled refresh or manually refresh in power bi service.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-getting-started

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-lili6-msft , 

Thank you for your reply. I went through the links you sent me and if I understood correctly the only way for me to have the option to send a mail update once my data is refreshed or in my particular case republished on Power Bi is to install the Gateway?

My process for updating the report is very manual, so by installing the gateway and adding my Excel based data source I will no longer need to republish the Power Bi desktop to Power Bi service ? It will automatically refresh? I would like to mention that the excel worksheet which contains the data for my power bi report  is a excel workbook and not analyse in excel. Each week I export data from a system into the excel workbook and then click on refresh all in power bi desktop and then publish in Power bi service. So by installing the gateway I will no longer need to republish on power bi service right? 

Thank you in advance for you reply.

Kind Regards,

Nadim

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors