Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andymc123
Advocate III
Advocate III

Not receiving email when dataset is replaced

No one is receiving alerts when a report is updated.  We have tried using the feature "Subscribe" located in the upper right of the report screen: Capture.PNG

I use Power BI desktop to build/refresh the report daily.  The source is a few different databases as well as an Excel file.  The data is not very clean so I need to perform a number of checks and data corrections prior to publishing.  Once complete I use the "publish" button on the ribbon of the desktop app.  From there the report is sent to a Workspace and the prompt reads "Replacing Dataset: You already have a dataset named "DailyProductivity" in Power BI.  Do you want to replace the existing dataset with this one?"  I click on replace because the only other option is "cancel".

Are we not getting emails because the dataset is "replaced" and not "refreshed"?  If that is the case how would I refresh without replacing?

Using Desktop Version: 2.59.5135.421 64-bit (June 2018)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
andymc123
Advocate III
Advocate III

So I installed the Gateway and "refreshed" my datasource (after adjusting the data in the Excel file) and an email was received so I may have answered my own question.  Replacing dataset = no email.  Refreshing dataset = email.

View solution in original post

Correct, when you replace a data set that is not considered as a change in Data by PBI, it sees it as the first instance of setting the data source up. Only Refreshes trigger the email.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
andymc123
Advocate III
Advocate III

So I installed the Gateway and "refreshed" my datasource (after adjusting the data in the Excel file) and an email was received so I may have answered my own question.  Replacing dataset = no email.  Refreshing dataset = email.

Correct, when you replace a data set that is not considered as a change in Data by PBI, it sees it as the first instance of setting the data source up. Only Refreshes trigger the email.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors