cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
andymc123 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Not receiving email when dataset is replaced

No one is receiving alerts when a report is updated.  We have tried using the feature "Subscribe" located in the upper right of the report screen: Capture.PNG

I use Power BI desktop to build/refresh the report daily.  The source is a few different databases as well as an Excel file.  The data is not very clean so I need to perform a number of checks and data corrections prior to publishing.  Once complete I use the "publish" button on the ribbon of the desktop app.  From there the report is sent to a Workspace and the prompt reads "Replacing Dataset: You already have a dataset named "DailyProductivity" in Power BI.  Do you want to replace the existing dataset with this one?"  I click on replace because the only other option is "cancel".

Are we not getting emails because the dataset is "replaced" and not "refreshed"?  If that is the case how would I refresh without replacing?

Using Desktop Version: 2.59.5135.421 64-bit (June 2018)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Regular Visitor

Re: Not receiving email when dataset is replaced

So I installed the Gateway and "refreshed" my datasource (after adjusting the data in the Excel file) and an email was received so I may have answered my own question.  Replacing dataset = no email.  Refreshing dataset = email.

nirvana_moksh Established Member
Established Member

Correct, when you replace a data set that is not considered as a change in Data by PBI, it sees it as the first instance of setting the data source up. Only Refreshes trigger the email.

2 REPLIES 2
Regular Visitor

So I installed the Gateway and "refreshed" my datasource (after adjusting the data in the Excel file) and an email was received so I may have answered my own question.  Replacing dataset = no email.  Refreshing dataset = email.

nirvana_moksh Established Member
Established Member

Correct, when you replace a data set that is not considered as a change in Data by PBI, it sees it as the first instance of setting the data source up. Only Refreshes trigger the email.