Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

foxb3692
Helper I
Helper I

Not able to use the same datasource file name in a single Gateway

Greetings - 

We are an ISV with a multi-tenant customer database. For a single customer, I extract their data into individual files with names such as “Company.txt” & “Clients.txt” and save it to a unique customer folder. A Power BI Workspace was created for the Company with a Dashboard & Report. The On-Premises Data Gateway was installed and configured and daily refreshes have been running successfully for some time. All Good. Now comes customer number 2.

I was thinking (hoping really) that the gateway would be tied to a workspace, but that is not the case.

It does not appear possible to configure a single On-Premises Data Gateway to use a file datasource with the same name as an existing file datasource, but can the community confirm this?

Trying to add the datasource name for a different customer in the gateway generates the “Duplicate data source name” error message. The source file is in a different folder, but that appears not to matter. 

What are the possible solutions?

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What you would need to do is to create a different data source definition name in order to get it working.

Here are details from the Power BI Gateway team: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/multiple-data-source-definitions-on-the-on-premises-data-ga...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What you would need to do is to create a different data source definition name in order to get it working.

Here are details from the Power BI Gateway team: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/multiple-data-source-definitions-on-the-on-premises-data-ga...

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the info and the link GibertQ. I was afraid that would be the solution; at 50+ files in each company's full dataset, I see having to uniquely name each file as untenable. 

Hi there

Unfortunately that appears to be so.

Thanks for letting us know!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors