Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
foxb3692 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Not able to use the same datasource file name in a single Gateway

Greetings - 

We are an ISV with a multi-tenant customer database. For a single customer, I extract their data into individual files with names such as “Company.txt” & “Clients.txt” and save it to a unique customer folder. A Power BI Workspace was created for the Company with a Dashboard & Report. The On-Premises Data Gateway was installed and configured and daily refreshes have been running successfully for some time. All Good. Now comes customer number 2.

I was thinking (hoping really) that the gateway would be tied to a workspace, but that is not the case.

It does not appear possible to configure a single On-Premises Data Gateway to use a file datasource with the same name as an existing file datasource, but can the community confirm this?

Trying to add the datasource name for a different customer in the gateway generates the “Duplicate data source name” error message. The source file is in a different folder, but that appears not to matter. 

What are the possible solutions?

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User IV
Super User IV

Re: Not able to use the same datasource file name in a single Gateway

Hi there

What you would need to do is to create a different data source definition name in order to get it working.

Here are details from the Power BI Gateway team: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/multiple-data-source-definitions-on-the-on-premises-data-ga...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User IV
Super User IV

Hi there

What you would need to do is to create a different data source definition name in order to get it working.

Here are details from the Power BI Gateway team: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/multiple-data-source-definitions-on-the-on-premises-data-ga...

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

foxb3692 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the info and the link GibertQ. I was afraid that would be the solution; at 50+ files in each company's full dataset, I see having to uniquely name each file as untenable. 

Super User IV
Super User IV

Hi there

Unfortunately that appears to be so.

Thanks for letting us know!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

It’s the start of a new Super User season! Learn all about the new Super Users and brand-new tiered recognition system.

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're celebrating the start of the New Super User season with our first ever Super User 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

We are super excited for our update this month, as we are releasing two of our top community requests!

Power Platform Online Conference

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

Top Solution Authors