Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cjvjr75
Regular Visitor

Not able to share a report with an external user

Hello,

Currently i am investigating the features of PwerBI and one of them is the option to share a report with an external user. I think i followed the correct steps. I don't get any error messages, but nothing is shared either.

Here is my setup. I have a PowerBI account that is part of a managed domain and part of a tenant of my company. I have a Pro license for the account. I created a second account in PowerBI and started the 60 days Pro trial. This account is part of a unmanaged domain. With this last account i uploaded an excel file and created a report on it. I then used the Share button and specified my account of the managed domain (as user i want to share the report with). I left all the options below (on the shaare dialog) checked on (sending a mail etc). I get the message that sharing has succeeded, but no message with a link is sent to the receipient. Also, when i look at the access options in PowerBI i don't see anywhere that i shared a report with the external user (other then that the owner is specified).

I first thought that i had something to do with some settings in the PowerBI Admin portal.

So i created a new account that is part of our companies development domain. This ia also a managed domain and i started the 60 days free trial. With this account i can change the settings of the Admin portal. I tried several things, but nothing seems to work.

I created a report with my managed domain account and tried to share it with the unmanaged domain account, but still no errors but no link either. What can be going wrong here?

Kick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cjvjr75 ,

First, please ensure the existing security setting allowing content to be shared with external users and the tenant setting allowing e-mail subscriptions are enabled in Admin portal. You can find the details in this documentation.

1.png2.png

In addition, you can find full detail about distributing Power BI content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B in this documentation.

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cjvjr75 ,

First, please ensure the existing security setting allowing content to be shared with external users and the tenant setting allowing e-mail subscriptions are enabled in Admin portal. You can find the details in this documentation.

1.png2.png

In addition, you can find full detail about distributing Power BI content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B in this documentation.

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors