Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not able to refresh power bi dataset

Hi All,

Need some quick help. I have a dataset and some reports connected to the same. From last couple of days, I am not able to refresh that particular dataset manually and even my scheduled refresh are not working. It gives an "Internal Service Error".

So I am trying to publish the same dataset through Power BI desktop, however it is taking ages to publish it and it doesn't even go through in the end. I am able to rename the file and publish it to the same workspace but just not able to replace the existing dataset.

So currently I am stuck wherein I can't refresh my report on Power BI service as well as I can't publish it through desktop.

Not too sure what the issue is but really need a quick fix on it due to the business requirements. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Note: I do not want to delete the dataset and then publish it as a new one, because that will change the link to the reports for the users and even I will have to connect the dataset again to all my existing reports

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

What happens when you try and refresh it in the Power BI Service?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

It gives an Internal service Error. Firstly it doesn't even show me that it is refreshing and then after sometime it shows out that red marker. Then upon checking into refresh history I see the mentioned error. Not too sure if this is due to the latest updates but it is surely frustrating.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Can you install the latest version of Power BI Desktop, then open make a change, save this and then try and upload again?

has anything changed with the existing report?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also to add, when I allow the desktop file to publish for a long time, it shows me the below message,

'Publishing is complete. However, we couldn't refresh your dataset. Please manually refresh your dataset in the service or schedule refresh.'

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have already installed the latest version. Trying to publish from the same but still giving the same error. 

No I didn't change anything in the report. In fact the report was on schedule refresh when the issue first started.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors