Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DataJoe
Frequent Visitor

Not able to connect to Dataset

Hi community, I have a problem.

A collegue is trying to connect to a dataset I've made. I have giving permission on cube level and data level in SQL, but in app.powerbi.com, he is not able to see the shared dataset and when opening a report which is using the dataset, he get follow error: "Looks like we're unable to access the dataset. Please contact the owner of the dataset"

I cannot remember, where I need to delegate further permissions. 

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
bshirer

I am having a similar issue where I am granting read/build permissions to a dataset to a specific user, and they can not see it in the list of available datasets in Power Bi desktop.  I had them check the Power Bi Service datasets and it is not listed for them there either.  I have no row level security set up either.  I've also tried some basic files just using SharePoint Excel files that the user has access to, just to make sure it wasn't an underlying data security issue, and they can not see those datasets either.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DataJoe ,

Whether the related dataset still exist? What's the connection type of the data source? Please check if hit any limitation which include in this official documentation when using the Power BI service live connection.

In addition, please try to grant that colleague with Build permission of dataset. Later check if he/she can view the report normally.

build permission.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @DataJoe - Have you also provided access at the dataset level within Power BI service? 

If you have created Roles within the dataset, you should be able to assign the user access following the below steps. 

Sumanth_23_1-1600326383546.png

Please mark the post as a solution and provide a ? if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks!

Regards,
Sumanth

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors