Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not able to Share Dashboards/Reports to External users who're not part of Organization

Hello @arvindsingh802 , @GilbertQ and Everyone,

My request is to share the published reprots to External users who're Service vendors. I have a Pro License to share the developed content. External users have been added to Azure Active Directory still they're not able to view the Reports.

However they're able to view the same Reports in Sharepoint site published which confirms that all external users been added to Azure AD. As per company policy, I won't be getting an Admin access to manage the tenant settings to enable the feature to share the developed contents with the external users. Any other steps I'm missing here? and Not sure what 're all the other options available to share the content. PFB screenshots. When they trying to access the Dashboard, getting the below errors.

Janaa_0-1630154552447.png

Janaa_1-1630154606849.png

Any suggestions/insights would be highly apprieciated.

Regards

Janaa

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @Anonymous ,

there is no other way to share Power BI content with external users, no trick, no workaround. Sharing content (that may contain sensitive information) with external users has to adhere to some process. This process and its requirements are described in the document above.

Basically three roles are involved, the Azuer admin, who is adding the guest users to the AAD, the M365 admin who allows that excternal content can be shared. And finally the Power BI Service administrator.

Please, walk through the document and report back what you tried and what is not working.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

did you add the users in Access?

vxiaotang_0-1630375597257.png

Distribute content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

or 

vxiaotang_1-1630375789412.png

Ways to collaborate and share in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-xiaotang

I have done all the above mentioned steps 2 days ago, but still they're not able to view the dashboard.

Regards

Janaa

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Sharing the Dashboard to external users issue has been fixed by placing the ctid url(from Power BI Service) instead of Embed Code URL in the webpage report URL in Sharepoint. Users 're able to view the Dashboard in Sharepoint, Power BI service and other O365 tools as well.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Hi @Anonymous 

thanks for sharing your solution!

could you accept the answer as Solution? so the others can find it more quickly.

really appreciate!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

it's somewhat difficult to provide guidance to your challenge. I assume you are aware of this article and have been following it for each single aspect: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/whitepaper-azure-b2b-power-bi

Please check the setting "" in the tenant setting:

96B7CE64-9D51-4893-B2CB-37F763D6FA1F.jpeg

Hopefully, this provides some ideas on how to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TomMartens 

Thanks for sharing this document. I will connect with Azure AD Admin team to check they can help me with this process as I mentioned earlier in my post that I don't have Azure AD access and Power BI Admin access to manage the Tenant settings. Shared whitepaper contains many approaches. It's straight forward that our external users have been added to Azure AD however they're not able to view the Dashboard/Reports. Kindly suggest if any other workaround to share the access with the External vendors.

Regards

Janaa 

Hey @Anonymous ,

there is no other way to share Power BI content with external users, no trick, no workaround. Sharing content (that may contain sensitive information) with external users has to adhere to some process. This process and its requirements are described in the document above.

Basically three roles are involved, the Azuer admin, who is adding the guest users to the AAD, the M365 admin who allows that excternal content can be shared. And finally the Power BI Service administrator.

Please, walk through the document and report back what you tried and what is not working.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TomMartens 

Thanks Tom. Sure, I would refer the document once again to find out which scenario would suit my need and I will work with AD & O365 Admin Teams to make this access works for external users.

Thanks for your time and help.

Regards

Janaa

Hey @Anonymous , I keep my fingers crossed!

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Sharing the Dashboard to external users issue has been fixed by placing the ctid url(from Power BI Service) instead of Embed Code URL in the webpage report URL in Sharepoint. Users 're able to view the Dashboard in Sharepoint, Power BI service and other O365 tools as well.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Regards

Janaa

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors