Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not able to Add Credentials to Google BigQuery

Hello, 

I have recently created a report that uses Google BigQuery as a datasource. 

I am able to connect and refresh the data in desktop, but once I have publised the report, I am not able to refresh the dataset as I don't seem to be able to add my credentials to the data source. 

I have owner rights in Google BigQuery, so there shouldn't be any issue with that. 

When clicking the "Edit credentials" button, I am asked to sign in with my credentials. I am using the OAuth2 authentication method. When I click the sign in button, I get a new window where I login using my Google account and allow the connection. After this nothing happens. I am returned back to the same window, where I can provide the credentials again and this loop continues. 

H3nrik_0-1626671877772.png

All help with this is greatly appreciated! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,  @Anonymous 

This is a message I received:  fix for manage gateways and dataset settings page is checked in .

We may have to wait for the fix to be released in early August.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive got the same answer from MS Support Team, happy to hear this will be fixed in two weeks! 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
comandor
Frequent Visitor

@

Hi, all

I've got a problem with authenticating BQ

Page https://oauth.powerbi.com/views/oauthredirect.html?code= is totally white and no errors or smth that can help with debug

I tried:

1. different browsers (with turned off adblock)

2. incognito mode

PBI version is Version: 2.95.983.0 64-bit (July 2021)

I have an access to BQ (100%)

I worked with the dataset 2 months ago.

Now I cannot login BQ at all, even to my current work account.

Need hepl, asap!

According to notification

Customers will have to upgrade to the June version of Power BI desktop to continue using their connector integration

Should I downgrade my powerbi ersion from July to June?

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,  @Anonymous 

This is a message I received:  fix for manage gateways and dataset settings page is checked in .

We may have to wait for the fix to be released in early August.

Best Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive got the same answer from MS Support Team, happy to hear this will be fixed in two weeks! 

Hi Fedcorsan,

Thanks for your reply, Did powerbi support define that this issue will fix in two weeks as I have the same issue 

and one more question how can I open a support ticket if I don't have a premium account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello fedcorsan,

Thanks for your reply, Actually I've just checking now and still I have the same issue,
do you still have the same issue or it's resolved for you?
Thanks in advanced 🙂

Hi,  @halaaljoumat 

I haven't received the message that the fix deployment is complete yet. Please be patient.

In addition , you can take a try to go to https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/ext/DataGateways and edit the credentials there.

Best Regards,

https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/ext/DataGateways - here works Google BigQuery authorization!

Thanks @v-easonf-msft 

MikeHalsey

Same issue here...

It's the PowerBI Service (not PBI Desktop) that has the issue.

We have 2 PowerBI Gateways (on different servers).  One was setup about 6 months ago and the other today.

The one setup 6 months ago works fine... we can even delete the BigQuery connection from this Gateway and recreate it without issue, presumably because the required permissions for this PBI Gateway connection have already been succesfully added to Google BigQuery.

The new server with the new Gateway just loops back to a login screen after attempting to connect (using the same credentials as the other GW).  I'm guessing that the process for creating permissions (for the PBI Gateway) on the Google BigQuery platform has changed somehow?

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

As mentioned by @collinq ,it may be related to a known issue listed on the  Power Bi Support page,

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

16.png

You can  try to update to the June version of PowerBI desktop to continue using the connector or use chrome incognito mode /clear browser cache.

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

This is on the Power Bi Support page, does that apply?

Power BI customers authoring reports with Google connectors will be impacted when Google deprecates embedded browser auth for OAuth . Customers will have to upgrade to the June version of Power BI desktop to continue using their connector integration. Note: Google Workspace and Google Cloud Identity accounts will not be impacted by this policy change at this time, and a separate timeline will be announced later for such user accounts (for questions about Google Workspace and Cloud Identity contact Google Support ).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the same error and submitted a support ticket. Two Support MS Teams are reviewing the issue with no success. 

The official doc from Microsoft unfortunately do not address this problem @selimovd 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all and thanks for the current comments. 

So far none of the suggested solutions have not worked. I am able to refresh the data in desktop, but not in Power BI Service. 

I tried taking a new approach and added a new dataflow in Power BI Service, where I connected to the same tables in Google BigQuery as I have used in the report I am not able to refresh. When adding a dataflow, I managed to login using my Google credentials and even got a notification from Google that Power BI now has access to my account. I am also able to refresh these dataflows without any errors. 

I no longer see the x-icon for missing credentials under the data source credentials, so maybe that's some good development. 

H3nrik_0-1626767387911.png

I will keep trying to find a solution, any new ideas are welcome. 

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

there are a few things you have to consider when working with Google BigQuery and Power BI Service.

Check the following list and make changes accordingly:

Connect to a Google BigQuery database in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors