Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ZLJ
Advocate II
Advocate II

Not a legal OleAut date

Has anything changed in Power BI in the last week?  I have a few Datasets / Reports which are no longer refreshing in Service due to the error "Not a legal OleAut date".  I've narrowed it down to some bad dates in one column (i.e. 11/09/0212).  However, these reports were running fine last week, and the source data has not changed (it has always been bad).  They also work in Desktop, it is just the schedule refresh in Service that is a problem.  

I want to understand what has changed or why they are failing now, rather than just write a formula to replace the bad values.  

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys!

Same issue here, in particular with the function:

FechasDax = 
VAR BaseCalendar = 
    CALENDARAUTO()
RETURN
    GENERATE(
        BaseCalendar,
        VAR BaseDate = [Date]
        VAR YearDate = Year(BaseDate)
        VAR MonthNumber = Month(BaseDate)
        RETURN ROW(
            "Day", BaseDate, 
            "Year", YearDate,
            "Month Number", MonthNumber,
            "Month", FORMAT(BaseDate,"mmmm"),
            "Month Year", FORMAT(BaseDate,"mmm yy")
        )
    )

Any suggest? Thanks!

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ZLJ,

You can check this article for known issues and recently-released  updates in Power BI Service. However, Power BI team hasn’t release any Power BI Service updates of July in the official articles, we need to wait a period of time.

In addition, as far as I know, several persons have encountered the same error message by using schedule refresh option in Power BI Service, and the root cause is that there are incorrect date values in data source. In your scenario, you will need to correct these illegal data values to make schedule refresh work properly.

There is a similar thread for your reference.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Not-a-legal-OleAut-date/td-p/9615

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-yuezhe-msft

I fixed the dates in the source data, and it started to run again.  However, that still doesnt explain why it ran for a few weeks previously with no issues?  I checked the source data, and the bad dates had been there for years, they werent a new thing.  I'm worried that other reports could stop working with no warning for similar reasons in the future.  Would there be any reason why a bad date would work on a schedule refresh one week, and then start to error?  Is there a min / max date that is allowed in Power BI?  

umutgulac
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem and it was used to work fine.

What happened and it started to return error about dates.

In my database, there are many date fields and I am not sure what date is an inappropriate date, "0000-00-00 00:00:00" is iniappropriate? Power BI gets them like they are null, so this should not be problem?

What is the exact root cause of this error?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors