Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AnthonyMCUBI
Frequent Visitor

Nondescript error in Power BI service for dataflow refresh

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble debugging my powerbi dataflows, and would appreciate some guidance. When I try to refresh them I'm given a nondescript error that lists a Request ID, an Activity ID, then nothing else.

Refresh Error 

To resolve this I decided to go to the edit page of the dataflow to see a more descriptive error, but the only information I get is a yellow triangle warning sign at the bottom left. When I hover over it, it says "The query X contains errors."

Power BI Edit Mode Error 

I'm not sure how to get more information. I tried removing the majority of my M code in the advanced editor, but the error remains. I have an on-premise gateway that is ostensibly working. Not sure what to check from here.

Any help understanding what's going on or what to check next would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sorry for the late reply, I figured out the issue.

Power BI recently, apparently had an update to how it connects to SQL CLR databases.  0-length passwords used to be allowed but now are not. I had to change my password from nothing to something in SSMS and then update my password in power bi connection settings. Everything worked fine after that.

I should note that there was no error with my nothing-password until I erased it and put nothing as my password again, which was not allowed and I was asked to input a password. That's why it took awhile to track down.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AnthonyMCUBI ,

Click on the warning message and you will see more tips.

lll12.PNG   

lll13.PNG

If the problem is still not solved, please post your M code(You can copy the code in "Advanced editor".)

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the response.

Below is the popup text box that appears after I clicked the error description mentioned in your response. 

Error Description.PNG

Since the popup doesn't give me extra information, I've also added the M code (in a picture, and then pasted):

M Code.PNG

let
  Source = Sql.Database("localhost""Test"),
  dbo_Locations = Source{[Schema = "bi", Item = "LocationCLRDim"]}[Data],
  #"Converted to Table" = Table.SplitColumn(dbo_Locations, "RowData", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("#(tab)", QuoteStyle.None), {"ActiveBusinessDays""AllowTransfers""BranchCode""Description""LocationCode""LocationId""PrinterCode"}),
  #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Converted to Table", {{"ActiveBusinessDays""Active Business Days"}, {"AllowTransfers""Allows Transfers"}, {"BranchCode""Branch Code"}, {"Description""Location Description"}, {"LocationCode""Location Code"}, {"LocationId""Location ID"}, {"PrinterCode""Printer Code"}}),
  #"Fixed Types" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns", {{"Active Business Days"type text}, {"Allows Transfers"type logical}, {"Branch Code"type text}, {"Location Description"type text}, {"Location Code"type text}, {"Location ID"type text}, {"Printer Code"type text}})
in
  #"Fixed Types"

@AnthonyMCUBI ,

This is very strange, I checked your code carefully and found no errors.

What is your data source? SQL Server?

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sorry for the late reply, I figured out the issue.

Power BI recently, apparently had an update to how it connects to SQL CLR databases.  0-length passwords used to be allowed but now are not. I had to change my password from nothing to something in SSMS and then update my password in power bi connection settings. Everything worked fine after that.

I should note that there was no error with my nothing-password until I erased it and put nothing as my password again, which was not allowed and I was asked to input a password. That's why it took awhile to track down.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors