Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

daromel
Frequent Visitor

No refreshing reports when I update an Excel workbook

I connected an Excel Workbook as new DataSet and I made a report based on that workbook.

But when I update the workbook  and press the update button in order to refresh the report, it doesn't work. Data don't resfresh.

I know that I can use a gateway or connect data from OneDrive so this work well.

But I'm wondering if what I'm doing should work or not.

2 REPLIES 2
Tad17
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @daromel 

Unless your excel file is in OneDrive you will have to use an On-Premise Data Gateway. If it is in One Drive you can import it as a workbook in Power BI Service and then set it up as a datasource. I highly recommend using a data gateway anyways though. It is faster and easier to use if you set up the data source in pbix and then publish to power bi service with an active on-premise data gateway.

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. How are you connecting your excel? If you connect an excel file with onedrive you may be able to just configure schedule refresh (including data source credentials). However if you are connecting the excel file hosted in a local file system, you must use an On Premise Data Gateway.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors