Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jackcc25
Regular Visitor

No gateway registered on powered Service after data gateway(personal mode) installation

Hello all,

Can anyone help me on this? After I successful installed the On-premises data gateway (personal mode) on my data source server (Win2016 & SQL2016 with SSAS), I got no gateway register on my PowerBI Service as below picture1

p1.jpg

So I uninstalled the On-premises data gateway (personal mode) and reinstalled it.

In the reinstallation progress I got an information as below picture2 that it found an existing gateway

p2.jpg

But it still goes well without any problem after continue to login in my service account as below picture3

p3.jpg

After all, I still not get any gateway register on my PowerBI Service the same as picture1.

How to register a PowerBI Service gateway after the data gateway(personal mode) installed?

btw, I have tried to install the On-premises data gateway(recommended, not personal mode)

in the same server and successed to register a gateway on my PowerBI Service. So I am not sure

why the personal mode installation(I have to use the personal mode) cannot get the same result?

Thanks!

Jack

3 REPLIES 3

@jackcc25 It sounds like there were multiple installs, and types of installs on the server. Are you using the same credentials to connect to the server, set up the gateways, etc as you are using to log in to the Power BI Service?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi Eno1978,

Yes, I use the same credentials to setup the gateway and login to the Power BI Service.

If I uninstall the On-premises data gateway(personal mode) now and then install On-premises data gateway(recommanded) again, it can successful register a data gateway on my Power BI Service using my input of gateway register name and restore key. In reverse, If I uninstall the On-premises data gateway(recommended) now and then install On-premises data gateway(personal mode) again, I will get a "Found an exist gateway" message first as my previous post's picture2 then I can continue to login use the same credential as my Power BI Service and It will not appear a gateway register form like (recommended mode) to setup gateway name and restore key, just show up "Connected: Your gateway is good to go." as my previous post's picture3.

I don't install different mode on the server in the same time that I have checked windows apps installed list after I installed or uninstalled the On-premises data gateway everytime and I will kill the installed folders in the program file directory after I uninstalled it. Unless the gateway installer remain or hide something like windows registry and etc that I don't know and how to remove it.

I am wondering once I install the On-premises data gateway(recommanded) at first, I can not just uninstall it and change to install On-premises data gateway(personal mode) in the same server?

Thanks!

Jack

Hi Eno1978,

I have a new VM that fresh installation of Win2016 & SQL2016 with SSAS today.

I use the fresh VM to install On-premises date gateway(personal mode) then, I still get the "Found an exist gateway" message after I use my PowerBI service credential to login and also get the same result as my first post's picture2 & picture3.

I guess that gateway information was stored on the PowerBI service of my account, but I still not see any gateway register on my PowerBI service gateway management this time, I don't know where the problem is and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Jack 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors