Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ZeinebDerbel
Frequent Visitor

No available gateway error REST API

Hi,

I've been developping an app based on Power BI API calls, but lately I've been receiving this error:

Last refresh failed: Wed Jun 03 2020 10:26:42 GMT+0100 (heure normale d’Europe centrale)
There is no available gateway.

It used to work, until lately. I didn't change a thing in my code.

What is more confusing is that the storage I'm using is cloud based (Azure Data lake). So it doesn't need a gateway connection. And when I refresh the datasets manually it works.

I'm testing on two Power BI accounts, his only occurs on one of them.

This is a pretty urgent matter, so I could use any given help.

Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, our baseline:

- Power BI import mode dataset with Azure SQL database datasource

- The dataset is uploaded and all connection parameters(server,database,credentials) are updated. All these tasks are executed with Powershell.

Our approach:

After the pbix dataset is published we get the datasource information with Get Datasource in Group API endpoint. DatasourceId and GatewayId are stored in variables.

The stored values will be used after updating the server&database in the datasource, we call the "Bind To Gateway In Group" API endpoint with the stored gatewayid in the body request. Now it is working.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

ZeinebDerbel
Frequent Visitor

Hi again,

I have found a workaround solution, although I'm not very convinced this is the source of the problem (maybe the why is still very blurry to me)

First for more context, this is what I'm doing (using the APIs) :

1-Upload a dataset to workspace (import a pbix and skipping report, I only need the parameters and power query within it)

2- Update the parameters

3- Refresh dataset

The thing is, I have a parameter for the url of the datalake data. There are two values of the url, depending on the use case/user.

So what I did, is that I removed that parameter and made two different pbix, each one with its specific url. So then, I import a pbix depending on the use case.

I still don't understand why I get a gateway error, while I should get "error while processing data" message (seeing that it seems to be a data access issue).

Also, why does the dataset refresh fails via API but doesn't when I do it manually?

@GabrielSantos @rgomez87  @Anonymous   For the datasource issue, based on what I noticed maybe this is related to the default values given in the beginning ( an update bug?)

I hope this can help you figure something out.

Let us know for any updates.

Regards,

Thanks a lot @ZeinebDerbel  I will try this workaround as fast as I can. I can create a parameter without meaning into the report. Is it a internal error from micro? I would swear that I have done this in the past

Thanks again!

ZeinebDerbel
Frequent Visitor

Hi again,

I have found a workaround solution, although I'm not very convinced this is the source of the problem (maybe the why is still very blurry to me)

First for more context, this is what I'm doing (using the APIs) :

1-Upload a dataset to workspace (import a pbix and skipping report, I only need the parameters and power query within it)

2- Update the parameters

3- Refresh dataset

The thing is, I have a parameter for the url of the datalake data. There are two values of the url, depending on the use case/user.

So what I did, is that I removed that parameter and made two different pbix, each one with its specific url. So then, I import a pbix depending on the use case.

I still don't understand why I get a gateway error, while I should get "error while processing data" message (seeing that it seems to be a data access issue).

Also, why does the dataset refresh fails via API but doesn't when I do it manually?

@GabrielSantos @rgomez87 @Anonymous As for the datasources issue, based on what I noticed, maybe this is related to the default values given to the dataset ( an update bug?)

I hope this can help you figure something out.

Let us know for any updates.

Regards,

GabrielSantos
Resolver I
Resolver I

I'm replying to this and confirming this is also an issue for me. We use the API to update datasources in group and then call an ondemand refresh, but we get the same error about no gateway available. We've been using these same calls for almost two years without any issue as none of our data is on-prem.

This must be a bug on Microsoft side.

ZeinebDerbel
Frequent Visitor

Hello again,

For further information, when I try get the refresh history via API, I get this :

serviceExceptionJson={"errorCode":"DMTS_MonikerWithUnboundDataSources"}

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, the same issue here. We are executing below actions:

1. Upload Power BI pbix

2. Get the datasourceid and the gatewayid. No problem, even if the datasource is in Azure it has gatewayid

3. Update Datasource. 

4. Get datasourceid and gatewayid again with Get Datasource in group API endpoint. Both of the parameters are empty.

5. Change credentials 

When the dataset is showed in Power BI service we get a warning sign and if we try to process it manually we get the error "No available gateway". The same code is working in other pbix and tenants.

Hello there,

I have the same problem that @Anonymous mention. After execute an update datasources I lost the possibility to request datasourceId and gatewayId and, for that reason, I can not update credentials.

There is a way to manage this, an it is a bit tricky and no able to automatize which is:

1) go to the portal

2) go to the workspace that you create the report/dataset

3) go to dataset -> settings -> take over

4) request the datasources using powershell... NOW WORKS!

As I said this solution not suits for me because I have to configure using PS

Regards!

ZeinebDerbel
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

@v-lili6-msft I need to revoke this issue.

Nothing works:

I tried sharing workpaces, creating new ones, access them by another account... But in vain, as long as the account that is having the problem is involved.

I can't figure out why this is happening. Why only on one Power BI account (the one that I need to work with) and not the other.

Is this a bug ? 

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @ZeinebDerbel 

Could you try to delete the dataset in power bi service and republish it to power bi service again.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

I've tried that yes, but it didn't resolve the issue.

After further investigation with fiddler, I noticed two request headers that are creating all the fuss:

Resquest_Id and traceparent. It works when I remove them and replay the request.

I'm trying to understand the source of these paremeters; why and when they are created (can't trace them in the HttpClient instance).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors