Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JaneLHunt
Helper II
Helper II

No Refresh History for DataFlow linked to an entity in a Dataflow in another workspace

In the same workspace,  I create a dataflow containing a computed entity based on a linked entity in another dataflow.   The Refresh History for the dataflow containing the  Computed Entity is shown (type Linked Source) and the Last Refresh based on the Linked Entity also shows on the list of dataflows in the workspace.

However, this does not occur if the dataflow containing a Computed Entity is in a separate workspace from the dataflow containing the Entity it is linked to.  For example:

I have a dataflow in Workspace 1 (on Premium Capacity) which is refreshed daily that extracts data from source.

I created a dataflow containing a computed entity in Workspace 2 (on same Premium Capacity). This computed entity links to an entity contained in the dataflow in Workspace 1.

The dataflow in Workspace 1 is refreshed.  I checked the computed entity in Workspace 2 and the data has been updated from the dataflow in Workspace 1.

However, there is no refresh history for the computed entity in Workspace 2 and in the Last Refresh column on the list of dataflows in Workspace 2, it shows N/A.

I would like to keep dataflows which ingest (extract) data from source in a separate workspace from dataflows which then link to the ingestion dataflows for further transformation work.  This would be much easier to manage if the Refresh History on the transformation dataflows showed the Refresh History (type linked source) when the ingestion dataflows are in a separate workspace from the transformation dataflows.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-shex-msft Xiaoxin

OK.  Will do.  Thank you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @JaneLHunt ,

Did you means computed data flow entity only refresh when you use it in same workspace? For referenced entity, did this entity update referenced records?
Please share more details information to help us clarify your scenario.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft Xiaoxin

The computed dataflow entity in Workspace 2  which references a dataflow entity in Workspace 1 does refresh.  In other words, when the referenced entity in Workspace 1 refreshes, it updates the computed dataflow entitiy in Workspace 2.

What I have an issue with is that, even though the computed dataflow entity in Workspace 2 gets refreshed, this does not show up in the Refresh History for the computed dataflow entity in Workspace 2.   The date of the refresh does not appear for the computed dataflow entity in the Last Refresh column when looking at the dataflows list in Workspace 2 either.  The Refresh History only gets added to if the computed data flow entity is in the same workspace as the referenced entity. 

Kind regards

Jane

Hi @JaneLHunt ,

So you mean these records still refreshed but power bi not record these reference entire refresh history, right?

If this is a case, I'd like to suggest you open a ticket for this to contact power bi team to check these properties.

submit a support ticketsubmit a support ticket

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft Xiaoxin

OK.  Will do.  Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors