Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AlB
Super User
Super User

No PQ queries when downloading pbix from Service

Hi all

When we download a pbix from the published report in the Service:

AlB_1-1651917841131.png

the file sometimes has no queries in PowerQuery,  it's completely empty (the original pbix does have queries). Other files that I download from the Service do have the queries though. Any ideas why? Does it have to do with the settings on the workspace, permissions?

Many thanks

AlB_2-1651918057982.png

11 REPLIES 11
Laurence21
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I had this problem but managed to solve it. I realised that after downloading the PBIX and opening it, this message bar would appear:

Laurence21_0-1666780903616.png

If I clicked apply changes - then the queries disappear, so it is important to discard changes. 
If I discarded changes all my queries would remain and the problem went away. 

AnetaK
Helper V
Helper V

Same issue. And the download took a very long time.

Any new ideas?

majid_75
Helper I
Helper I

Hi, I have the same issue, an idea?

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @AlB ,
that sounds odd - I would open a ticket for it.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

AlB
Super User
Super User

The problem disappeared on its own, which is odd enough, but now I am having it again. It seems to happen only with some of the files. Other files download normally with all the info from the Service.

I'm guessing it is something related to the download operation itself, as the dataset is refreshing daily without problems in the Service and when I browse the contents of the dataset all is there.

It's just when I download the report that the PQ queries disappear

In case it's of any use, the file is currently a 50MB and takes more than 20 mins to download, while other files with similar size take half a min. Maybe that's a sign of something being wrong    

Anyone any idea?

@edhans @ImkeF   @mahoneypat   @Greg_Deckler @parry2k @MFelix  @TomMartens  @collinq @GilbertQ 

Many thanks

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @AlB 

I created a report in Desktop with Excel , then I created a parameter to filter the data in Query Editor . I enabled the parameter to display in Desktop view and published the report to Service . Then I deleted the pbix file and downloaded the pbix file from Service . I can still see the parameter in Query Editor . I tested it with April version . 

You can update the version of Desktop to the latest one , and check your PQ queries .Maybe there are some problems with PQ queries .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Is the report live connected to a Power BI dataset? There are no queries in such a situation and you won't have the left-navigation or modeling either.

Actually, I don't think you can even open the query editor for a live query, so maybe it's a DirectQuery to a PowerBI Dataset instead?

Thanks @AlexisOlson 

There are no live connection. Everything is on import mode. I can actually see all the tables in the model and the relationships. It's the PQ part that comes up empty  

I actually saw this just today where it wasn't a Live Connection but rather a DirectQuery to a Power BI dataset. I can see the tables in the model pane but no data pane and no queries.

However, if everything is indeed Import (rather than DirectQuery) then this is definitely puzzling. I don't see how you can import without having a corresponding query and I'd assume there's some sort of bug invovled.

StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

strange, I have try to replicate the error but cant, and first time seeing it, have you try changin your permisions levels to see if that could be the problem as you say? also verify that you downloading the actua l data model and not the report pbi that have a live conection to it maybe? 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks @StefanoGrimaldi 

I have tried downloading both directly from the report and the dataset and get the same result. The report does not have live connections. I am an admin on the workspace, so top permission level, although the report/dataset is owned by another user.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors