Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DemoFour
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

No Option to change data source in Pipeline - Dev - Test for a dataflow

Hi All,

I am working on my first pipeline and have just deployed to Test and want to change over my Dataverse connection from Dev to live, so that I can now look at the real data coming through.

When I follow the guide and open the Dataflow that my reports are built from, all the options are grey out? When I look at the other reports built from flat excel files, I can add the rules, but not in my dataflow, or the model built from the dataflow. 

3eaacb46-f2a3-4e33-bbe8-ef8dfe5c143b.png

Any Help on how I can change my data source over in my Test Pipeline reports? 

If I go to the data flow and change at source, will I lose all the test data in the Dev pipeline? As these are currently used to showcase the reports to the stakeholders. Which I don't want as I want to keep this data, whilst the live connection has little data in at present and I review these reports before publishing to the wider audiance.   

3 REPLIES 3
DemoFour
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Update - 

So from research it looks like that you cannot do this with reports built from dataflows

dataflow.png

So does this mean, that I will have to rebuild my reports not from dataflows but straight from dataverse? 

Comments welcome, as this seams a bit unintuitive, that you can't build reports and swap over dataflows

Hi, @DemoFour 

What you've highlighted means that if a dataflow or dataset is created from another dataflow, then deployment rules don't apply to it.

You should be allowed to set rules to dataflowsdatasets and paginated reports.

Note: Data source rules will be grayed out if you're not the owner of the Power BI item you're creating a rule for, or if your Power BI item doesn't contain any data sources.

Why are the deployment rules greyed out? 

1.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Good morning @v-easonf-msft

Thank you for taking time to respond to my question. I will go and read the documentation that you supplied. 

I built the dataflow, from an environment in Dataverse and there is data in the tables that were moved into the Live environment by the Dataverse developer. 

I was hoping to just change the environment over on the dataflow as I moved out of Dev into Test, before deployment. The dataflow is not built from another dataflow, and I am the creator of the dataflow, so I am a little confused about this. 

This is the first time I have used these functions and had access to Premium Licence functions, so this is all new to me, so any further advice would be helpful. 

I will review the documentation you listed and post more questions I guess. 

Thank you for your response, have a good day. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors