Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

New workspace and external sharing

In order to fully utilise the new Dataflows we have started to use the new Workspace experience but we're now unable to share the workspace with external clients and when adding them to the access list are returned the following errors - 'These email addresses are invalid or duplicate' in red and in yellow the normal 'One or more e-mail addresses with the following domains are outside your organisation:.

Can anyone suggest a solution or possible work around?

Thank you in advance

Kevin

5 REPLIES 5
TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi all,

I am pretty sure that the reason the message "One or more e-mail addresses with the following domains are outside your organisation" is coming up is due to the order of the steps being applied.  Please try the following:

1. Share a report from the respective workspace to the external user (i.e. externaluser@theirdomain.com).
    TheoC_0-1617782486502.png
  2. Once you have shared a report or dashboard to the external user, they become a guest in the back end (i.e. Admin Portal will show them as a guest --> this is automated so you don't have to fluff around with Admin Portal nor Azure).
  3. Go to your workspace.  Click on "Access".  Once you add the external user's email (i.e. externaluser@theirdomain.com) you will see that they exist in your organisation's environment.
    TheoC_1-1617782532045.png

Basically, it seems that Microsoft have engineered Power BI online to only give access to an external user if that user has already had something shared with them (which is a little whack but hey... what do you do?).

I hope this works for you as this worked for me!  

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

bwQuestion

Did anyone ever figure this out.  PowerBI is dead in the water if we cannot share the workspace outside the organization.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having a similar issue. I am trying justify Power BI's place in my organization but I have spent hours trying to figure out how to share my report I created on PBI desktop with one person (internal address) and am having problem after problem.

So far, I have had both myself and the user sign up for the Power BI service through office 365, and both of us are running the PBI PRO license to facilitate sharing. When I attempt to share my report with the user's email, it does not come up as a suggested email in ADD bar on my end, nor can I add the user as a member in a PBI app, it just displays "invalid or duplicate email". I have tried sharing the file with an external email but no email notifications were found when the user was expecting an invitation to collaborate with the report.

What am I doing wrong? Why is it so difficult?

Thanks

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

By my tests, it seems that we cannot add the external user in new app workspace currently in Power BI.

You could vote this similar idea which has been submitted in Power BI ideas forum and add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

In addition, External B2B guests are limited to consumption of content only. External B2B guests can view apps, dashboards, reports, export data and create email subscriptions for dashboards and reports. They can't access workspaces or publish their own content.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

A couple of checkpoints - Are these users added in your orgs. Azure AD, and are you on Premium Capacity or have assigned Pro License to these external users?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors