Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chamberlas

New user needs help creating a content pack template please

Hi, I have been tasked with looking into a proof of concept for our saas company allowing our users to report on there data within power BI. I seem to be going around in circles with no definate solution at the moment (maybe because this is quite complicated from someone new to Power BI).

I have downloaded Power BI Desktop, and connected a datasource through our API to get some data. I have also created a few very simple reports just to prove that the user can access there data in Power BI through our softwares API. I have published these to my app.powerbi.com workspace.

I now want to be able to pass this to one of my colleagues to test before finally making it available to our customers.

I have read about Apps being the new content packages and content packages being deprecated but unfortunatly apps don't seem to give us what we need as each user needs to be able to get data with there own credentials and also tweak and generate new reports from the datasets provided (apps don't appear to give this and after reading quite a lot im not convinced they ever will). So I am trying to create a content pack template that can be given to a few users in my organisation so they can test if it allows them to log in with there credentials and only gives them the data they are entitled to see through using our API, also that it allows them to refresh the data and finally allows them to create there own reports and see to what extent.

Unfortunatly the "Make this a content pack template" checkbox is missing when i go in to the content pack option and again from what I have read I need to get an office 365 administrator to tick a power BI option to on which will allow me to do this, the option being "Allow users to create template organizational content packs". Here is where I go around in circles as im pretty sure we do not have office 365 or an office 365 admin account to be able to switch this option on.

In my mind I am so close to being able to provide the proof of concept, if the template tickbox was there then I would be able to create the template for a few of my collegues to look at. Once that has been approved I could then send the template off to microsoft to have it certified and eventually inform our customers that they can integrate there data from our software with Power BI.

On a side not I do have Power BI professional 60 day trial.

Any heklp would be appreciated, even if it is a definate "No you can't do that".

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chamberlas,

Based on your description, it seems like you want to use 'mark a copy' feature on content pack, but it seems been disabled by tenant admin, right?

In fact, If this feature is disabled, current power bi not contains any similar features which you needed.

I can only suggest you to share reports to app workspace and enable edit permission. Then members can use these reports to create customize reports.

Regards,

Xiaoxin sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi, thanks for your reply, but I don't think giving edit permissions to an app would work as they are still using my credentials and not theres. Because we are a saas software company the data that a users can see is derived from there login credentials. There login details are used by the API to ensure they are only getting there companys data and also only getting the data that there login permits them to have. It seems that an app remembers the credentials of the person that published or shared it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors