Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bamak
Helper V
Helper V

New paginated report visual - PBI App issue for users

Hi  

Yesterday I tested this amazing visual   : New paginated report visual for pbi 

Bamak_0-1629797011177.png

Unfortunately , I discovered when I created an App  that all users need also to be "viewer" of the underlying Work space 

And sorry ,  I don't want this scenario ;>)

My TEST context : paginated report & pbi report with new visual on the same WS 
I created an App on this WS

Bamak_1-1629797186885.jpeg

Do you know please if it's an issue ?

Best regards

Christopher 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bamak
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @Bamak ,

As far as I know, it is by desgin in Power BI Service.

To access the paginated report visual report in the app, people need to have the access to the paginated report first as prerequisites.

Note:

We recommend saving the Power BI report with the paginated report visual to the same workspace as the paginated report. This ensures that readers with access to the Power BI report also have access to the paginated report, which is required for the paginated report visual to render.

So in this case, if you do not want app user have access to the whole workspace which include this paniated report, you can only give them the single access to it in the permission page.

Bamak_0-1630321105765.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Tsanka
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

I have the same problem:

- a premium workspace with Power BI and paginated reports, some of the Power Bi reports use the new paginated report visual. The visual references a paginated report from the same workspace

- an app is created based on the workspace. From the app, the paginated reports runs with no issues. The same report when access from the paginated report visual fails to render, when the user has no access to the workspace.

This is an issue. We do not want to give the business users any access to the workspace. Even if we give them the viewer role, how can I explain when the app is to be used and when - the workspace?

The visual is still in a preview state, I hope this to be fixed in the next releases.

Best regards

Tsanka 

I have this issue; currently on Dec 2021 Power BI version. 

My only practical workaround is to share the paginated report with an AD group all my users are in, then the embedded visual works.   So every time we publish a paginated report that will be accessed via the embedded visual we have to share each and every report, even though everyone could run the report itself without it being shared no problem.  

If this is by design, it's a rubbish design.

Bamak
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @Bamak ,

As far as I know, it is by desgin in Power BI Service.

To access the paginated report visual report in the app, people need to have the access to the paginated report first as prerequisites.

Note:

We recommend saving the Power BI report with the paginated report visual to the same workspace as the paginated report. This ensures that readers with access to the Power BI report also have access to the paginated report, which is required for the paginated report visual to render.

So in this case, if you do not want app user have access to the whole workspace which include this paniated report, you can only give them the single access to it in the permission page.

Bamak_0-1630321105765.png

Bamak
Helper V
Helper V

Hi Ailsa

Thanks but when you create app for a report which get à page with paginated report visual

Users of the app need also to grant access to the underlying ws ? 

Otherwise KO message

Why please ?, it's an issue for me

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Bamak 

When you create an app and publish it , you need grant access to users so that they can access your contents in the app . This permission is given to the report and dashboard in the app, not to the entire workspace, so there is no need to worry about other content being accessed.

in addition , the app is in Premium Capacity , so the users who want to access your app don’t need Pro or PPU licenses , just share the link of the app with them, and they can access it directly.So if the users cannot access the content in app , there are only two reasons, one is that the content you shared has been deleted, and the other is that they are not given permission to access the app .

Ailsamsft_0-1629958643385.png

More info about you can refer to the link below .It introduces the knowledge related to the app in detail .

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-create-distribute-apps 

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Alisa,

I am using Power BI Paginated Report visual in my Power BI report. When I click on connect to report it opens up reports in Workspace and uses Workspace link to connect to the report. How can I point it to AppSpace so that users can access the content?

Our users doesn't have access to Workspace. They have access to Appspace.

Thanks and Regard,
Sanil Maru

Hi Ailsa

Thanks but when you create app for a report which get à page with paginated report visual

Users of the app need also to grant access to the underlying ws ? 

Otherwise KO message

Why please ?, it's an issue for me

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors