Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

New data fields in database how to ad these in my Power BI reports?

Hello Community,

Problem

I have an issue in adding the new data fields (currently added in my database  connected with Power BI) in Power BI existing reports.

Situation

My manager asked to add 2 new datafields in all reports. Thus, the database admin added these two datafields in MySQL database table which is connected with the Power BI (please note that the connection is not a direct connection).

Now, when I come to Power BI Service I assumed that just by hitting "refresh" the new datafields will come up as the database admin added these fields under the table which is connected with my existing reports. However, this is not happening when I hit refresh no new data fields are coming.

I am not sure what I need to do, should I create a new connection with the database or is there any shorter way to do this by the existing connection?

Many thanks and looking forward for your response.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous,

When you open the report, Edit the query that pulls in your data.

Once you opne the query in the editory, this is where you need to add the fields. I am not certain how your Query is setup to bring in the fields.

If you look at the steps in the query this is where you will either alter the sql query or adjust the M Query to select all fields from the table. It might automatically bring thim in once you have the query open in edit.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous,

You are going to have to open your data model from your Power BI client to update the model. Then, re-publish the report and dataset to include these new fields.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Anonymous

Many thanks for your reply. I followed your steps (Downloaded the report from Power BI service to Power BI desktop and refresh the report). However, the new datafields do not come up.

Can you please confirm that these are the steps you describe in your previous email?

Also, in another test I did is to create a new connection and connect the table (in which the new datafields were meant to be located in). However, in the table preview (before you load the table with the Power BI) I still don't see the new data fields regardless that the database admin infomed me that the new data fields have been added.

Is there any other way to see if the new datafields have been added?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous,

When you open the report, Edit the query that pulls in your data.

Once you opne the query in the editory, this is where you need to add the fields. I am not certain how your Query is setup to bring in the fields.

If you look at the steps in the query this is where you will either alter the sql query or adjust the M Query to select all fields from the table. It might automatically bring thim in once you have the query open in edit.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous,

Many thanks for the support. I tried again to refresh today and the new fields finally came up. I assume the system had some delays to refresh and show the latest version of the data.

Many thanks again for the support

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors